Main Menu

Hello from Lake of the Ozarks

Started by Titan912s, April 03, 2017, 08:02:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Oh my!  That is exciting to think it might be the matching numbers block.  I would not be able to contain myself and would not be able to sleep until I knew for sure.  It's looking good.   :twothumbsup:

Not sure if this helps you at all, but thought I would share just in case:
http://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/

Please let us know what you find!!!   :fingerscrossed:

6bblgt

:fingerscrossed: COME ON 142302

I believe the '70 A66 Challengers are among the best values out there (340'cudas bring a premium & 340 Challengers are forgotten)  ::)

also, I think Dodge was caught asleep at the wheel - apparently blindsided by Plymouth offering the 340 in the new e-body - about 6-weeks of production before the first 340 Challenger arrived.

All 340 4bbl Challengers are A66 package cars & all A66 package cars are 340 4bbl

a couple of corrections to the decode & it appears the 4X green 383 4-spd R/T recently for sale out of Utah & Arizona was ordered from the same dealership - any ideas where your car originated?

mopar thunder

Welcome! Beautiful toys.... hope to see more pics along the way. I had a 1967 12 string Baldwin a few years back. Now I just have a Fender strat.

Jay Bee

:twothumbsup:  Welcome aboard, we joined the same day.

Titan912s

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 05, 2017, 01:03:38 AM
:fingerscrossed: COME ON 142302

I believe the '70 A66 Challengers are among the best values out there (340'cudas bring a premium & 340 Challengers are forgotten)  ::)

All 340 4bbl Challengers are A66 package cars & all A66 package cars are 340 4bbl

a couple of corrections to the decode & it appears the 4X green 383 4-spd R/T recently for sale out of Utah & Arizona was ordered from the same dealership - any ideas where your car originated?

Thanks for the corrections on the decode.  Don't remember exactly which decoder I used for this originally.  I knew Dual/Duel was spelled wrong, but hey, maybe the factory coded it that way.  The remote mirror is great, since that's what's in the box.  I don't know which dealership it came from.  I have the address and phone number of the third owner back, but nobody answers the phone.  Time for a letter to Minnesota, and then hopefully I can get more history.

Since I have the V5X Black Protective Moldings (gone now), does that mean there were no graphics/stripes originally on the car?  What would have come on it if no V5X?  White Bumblebee?
J.D. Stewart

6bblgt

Yes, the 1970 340 (A66) Challengers came STANDARD with a painted bumblebee stripe.  It was available in many colors, WHITE would look great!

the A05 "protection group" included, body-side mouldings (replaced any STANDARD stripes), front & rear bumper guards w/rubber cushion, door edge mouldings

Titan912s

Went to the shop this morning and looked at all the numbers.  It's not numbers-matching with 142302.   :('  But hey, it's still the correct engine and it has a 727 trans.  Engine turned out to be 0B374298 and the trans is PK4058328   6242   16-something.   

Engine 374298 is way past car 142302, but the scheduled build date is 9 days ahead of the car.  Numbers geeks, feel free to chime in here.  I'd also like to know a little more about the trans.
J.D. Stewart

6bblgt

the transmission is a 1979 model year unit ***** Day 6242 is Wednesday, August 30, 1978

the 340 is from a Duster = VS29H0B374298 scheduled early June (new VIN to me, I "know nothing" about the car)

dates are close because LA built around 60,000 cars (~300/day) VS. Hamtramck's 350,000 cars (~1,750/day)

Titan912s

Hi guys;

It's been a couple years since I posted, and as with a lot of restorations, life and distractions get in the way.  My Nova, which sat in body shop jail for 22 months finally got out.  It looks fabulous now, and I'm close to getting going with the LS swap on it.  The Challenger was supposed to be next in line. My wife has wanted a Thelma and Louise T-bird for a long time, so I secretly bought one 1.5 years ago, and put it in the body shop (only 6 months this time).  I surprised her with it on her birthday last weekend.  The Challenger was supposed to be next in line...  Then, a miracle happened.  I had a '69 Camaro RS convertible during the 80s and 90s, and lost it in the divorce from the 1st wife.  I've been looking for it for almost 20 years, and finally found it in Wisconsin.  The best part is that he'll sell it to me.  It's mostly disassembled, so this will be a long, but worthwhile project for me.  That puts the Challenger to the back of the line... again.  I'm afraid it'll be 5~7 years before I get to it, plus I need the money to help re-purchase the Camaro.  I hate to sell this, but reality sets in.

I have enough body panels to practically build another Challenger.  2 hoods, 2 sets of fenders and doors, 3 trunk lids, quarters, trunk and floor pans, valence panels and a complete new white interior, still in boxes.  I looked up all the extra parts and the total came to $7455 alone.  I have e-mails and pictures from the 3rd owner back in the 80s.  Look up the car in the For Sale section of the forum.  Thanks for reading.
J.D. Stewart