Main Menu

New member from San Diego

Started by 70RTSE383, May 16, 2017, 02:43:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 70RTSE383 on May 17, 2017, 03:43:24 PM
I have a question on yhe se window plug. Has anyone seen the origional vinyl top being removed from one of these cars? One owner of an origional paint se said when his vinyl top was removed there was a wide strip of some kind of tape covering the seam around the plug. Can anyone confirm or disprove this?

John

The ones I have personally seen had the wide tape as mentioned. It is like a heavy/thick aluminum tape with adhesive. No pictures with me at the moment.  :thinking:

Cuda Cody

Yes, I think I remember something like that.  Wasn't there a video (maybe it was grave yard carz) where someone was putting a SE top back on and showed how to put the tape on?  :thinking:

1 Wild R/T

Most but not all had aluminum tape like is used in HVAC over the screw holes... And two of the three I removed the original top from had a single layer of heavy white muslin fabric between the plug & the top...

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Silver tape and the Muslim paper and then foam rubber to pad it. I tried different foams and couldn't get a perfect, invisible seam like I wanted. So I filled it so the transition was perfect, not padded but perfect. This deal took four attempts. The first mess was how I bought the car. I tried it myself twice but had troubles with the foam. Then I finally found a pro and he had the top over to one side and added a seam along the bottom of the window where there was too much material because it was placed correctly front to rear. So we got him back and he got it a bit better. Good luck with it.
The black roof is incorrect but I got so fed up with the car I sold it and the new owner wanted to make it different from the build sheet.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 17, 2017, 07:08:00 PM
Yup: Silver tape and the Muslim paper and then foam rubber to pad it. I tried different foams and couldn't get a perfect, invisible seam like I wanted.

Wow, those folks get into everything.... Mine had Muslin Cloth... A type of linen that likely dates to the time of Allah butttttt.... LOL...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

1 Wild R/T