Main Menu

Gran Coupe Door Panel Woodgrain

Started by YYZ, December 06, 2020, 05:58:21 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YYZ

SOLD.

Pair of original woodgrain door inserts for '70-'71 Gran Coupe models or 'Cudas with the leather seat option.

Driver condition.  Not perfect, but presentable and complete.  Full set of clips

SOLD. within the lower 48 or Canada. AK, HI, EU or ANZ will cost a little bit more.  Many more pics available. 

Thanks

CudaMoparRay

anlauto

:iagree: should have asked more...one item that should be reproduced
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

EB3-GranCoupe

Alan,
I agree.  And its not a complicated item, plus demand is up with folks restoring more Gran Coupes (and not cloning them totally), and Premium interior equipped cars.

YYZ

Well again, these weren't perfect and I wasn't looking to retire off the proceeds.

I'd investigated reproducing them a little while ago, and unfortunately, my friend who worked for a plastics extrusion company lost his wife unexpectedly (cancer sucks!) and had decided to retire so he could spend a bit more time with her.

The clips are straightforward -- one could even make what you needed by hand.

The main extrusion is fairly simple.  Where it gets complicated is that:

1.  There is a layer of Mylar wrapped around the main extrusion

2.  There is a layer of clear plastic that surrounds the entire profile, front & back.  When this plastic yellows with age, that is why the edges appear to be gold, rather than silver

3.  The woodgrain sits on top of the Mylar but appears to be part of the clear layer.  So either there is a portion of the wrapper that is wood coloured, or the woodgrain section is somehow fused to the clear section.

4.  The woodgrain has ticking (the little grooves that simulate the wood texture).  My guess is that this was applied by using a metal roller on the plastic while it was still warm.

If the OEM supplier is still in business, it may be easier to track them down and see if they have tooling...

jlemler

Since we are thing about things for gran coupe reproduction items, how about the clips that hold the upper console in place.