Main Menu

TA Motor for Sale - Seattle Craigslist VIN Ending 0B285361

Started by DeathProofCuda, July 05, 2020, 12:16:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

I totally get it, if you got a car for cheap and have no plans of selling it, why bother throwing more money than you have invested in the whole car for an engine you don't "need".

Especially at an inflated price, engine is worth no more than any other engine to someone that doesn't have the car it came out of.

cuda hunter

I agree with 10K with the parts that are there.
That would be the top that I'd pay for it.

My V code engine was available to Cody for I believe 4K but when Cody committed and his wife went to New York to look at the motor they asked more, I think it was 6500 and he turned it down.  Doesn't make sense to pay more than the value it will give to the car.  Now the motor is lost to me, trying, but still lost.

Most t/a motors are selling at 6K right now. I've seen a few a little more than that but it's pushing the envelope at more than 6K.  Even if you own the car.  Can you get 10 to 15K more for the car with the matching motor, probably not. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: cuda hunter on July 06, 2020, 01:07:13 PM
Most t/a motors are selling at 6K right now. I've seen a few a little more than that but it's pushing the envelope at more than 6K.  Even if you own the car.  Can you get 10 to 15K more for the car with the matching motor, probably not.

Interesting...I don't watch the market very closely, but would assume that have a non-matching motor in a TA car would decrease the value at least $10K to $15K.  To me it seems like even having a numbers matching automatic, instead of a 4 speed, is worth a $10K price drop in a TA car.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: I am thinking todays rough value would be $10k for matching #'s. As times goes though if you want good money for a car the numbers matsching thing is getting more and more important. It is the difference between selling for a good price and not selling at all. Fewer people have the money to buy these cars and those that do want matching #'s.
Sheldon

Bossgold

I made a comment about this in another group. $ 14K is a bit much but don't don't just take it at a price value. Often, if its really good quality vs 50 year old beat to crap junk then what's it worth? Where you going to find good quality? So, I have done a couple of T/A engines lately and have been looking around for parts. Things like Standard Bore blocks and super clean heads are getting really hard to come  by these days. If the block is what he says and its clean, pressure checked mag'd etc and WILL STAY standard bore then its easily $ 4K. Where will you find another that doesn't need to be cleaned up at 20 over or more when its done? About 1 month ago a guy posted for sale on FB a set of T/A heads. There were some missing pictures so when I pressed for more pics I saw on one head the corrosion holes. Not to mention a really bad porting job. He finally sold them for $ 1750 to some one else in the group....I would never have bought them - complete junk.

The heads are $ 2500 (+/- $ 300) core plus the machine work seller says was done already add $ 500. Those after market roller rockers are around $ 500-$ 750. I would guess the T/A rockers would be included. The picture of the Heads shows they are pretty clean looking with limited corrosion but hopefully he has paper work on pressure check and pictures of the bowls for Porting questions.

Valve covers, $ 300, Rods/pistons $ 475 Cam/lifters $ 375/$175 294 Pan/Pump/windage $ 400, Harmonic $ 250 and a clean Crank 10/10 $ 400 = Approx. $ 9375 ( without including roller rockers)  so $ 10 K is pretty spot on.

Finally, if you look closely at the Heads picture there is a 340 six pack base for an air cleaner as well....so who knows what else is included ( air Cleaner Six Pack orig $ 1800)

Having looked at several sets of heads and blocks that have come up for sale recently....I can't recall any but one set of heads where I could talk to the machine shop that inspected the parts....and these ended up being the cleanest set I have bought to date. Most don't have paper work or sellers that can articulate the history or quality of the part. Its usually...."I got the motor from a car I purchased .......but I know what it is and its value".

I am no longer quick to judge the T/A Blocks/heads/parts for sale anymore till I either have a paper trail, physically inspect them myself or both because good quality will always hold a premium over most of the junk that is being sold today for these 50 year old parts.

cuda hunter

its a low mile standard bore 340 ta block with crank ,oil pan, valve covers, reconditioned connecting rods, good condition roller rockers with new unused pistons, cam +lifters, rings, timing chain ,rebuilt heads, oil pump will post pics soon some history on this well traveled engine The TA registry has had this block number for approximately 10 years and this engine was in a mopar magazine in 2005 .
images added of vin stamp that I ended up with motor and had it in storage for a few years. Its out of Cuda Vin #0B285361

reply by email:
a3e5c425df3f3c4eb036c7e32d936858@sale.craigslist.org
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

A little too optimistic on the asking price...maybe half that :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP_Cuda

Folks need to stop hitting the mary jane before posting their ads. 

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cuda Cody

He wants that much and doesn't even have the correct rocker arms!  :Thud:

Matt M

I really don't know the TA/AAR cars that well.
I was told just because the block has TA on it doesn't mean it was in a TA/AAR car.
It also has the have this casting number on it 3577130TA

If this is bad info, don't hesitate to set me straight.

Matt

Ricomondo

Quote from: Matt M on February 23, 2021, 05:19:16 PM
I really don't know the TA/AAR cars that well.
I was told just because the block has TA on it doesn't mean it was in a TA/AAR car.
It also has the have this casting number on it 3577130TA

If this is bad info, don't hesitate to set me straight.

Matt

@Matt M - If the VIN pad starts 0B...... then it came out of a TA/AAR (providing it has the same casting # 3577130TA-340)
Chrysler had some leftover TA blocks and used them in some 71 A/E bodies IIRC. Those VIN pads would start off 1B......
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Matt M