Main Menu

ECU Mounting Bracket

Started by headejm, October 12, 2018, 12:46:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

headejm

@Burdar A couple of questions about the ECU mounting bracket on electronic ignition cars. I am converting my 1970 383 to electronic ignition using a Mopar conversion kit.

Do I need to mount the orange ECU on a mounting bracket? Heat related?
Is the factory location for the orange box the best location?
Can it be hidden?

Do you or anyone else have a spare mounting bracket? I know they are reproduced but not crazy about the price.

Thanks!

Claudia

:alan2cents: I am no expert but when I asked the same question, I was told that it should be mounted on the bracket to allow for air movement behind it.

anlauto

All the conversions I do have the ECU mounted in the car near the ashtray/radio area of the dash.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

The general consensus is that the bracket is to allow airflow for cooling the ECU.  I think the M-bodies have it mounted to the inner fender without any extra bracket.  I've wondered if the bracket's main function is to protect it from water running down the firewall in a big rain or when washing the car.  The voltage regulator is mounted right to the firewall though.

I've seen brackets that mount the ECU on the back side of a big block...where the distributor would be on a small block.  I think the best place though is under the battery tray.  It should get some air flow from the fan and be pretty well hidden.  Personally, I don't like to see them mounted to the firewall on the years that didn't originally come with them.

Years ago, I measured my original bracket and made a drawing of all the dimensions.  I gave it to someone on CC.com I think, so he could make his own.  I probably still have a picture of that drawing if you want it.

Burdar

BIGSHCLUNK

Do I dare admit mine's mounted right to the firewall....  :rubeyes:

dodj

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on October 12, 2018, 03:14:51 PM
Do I dare admit mine's mounted right to the firewall....  :rubeyes:
And it will be just fine Bigs.
The whole air flow/cooling thing really doesn't make sense in my opinion.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Yes: The factory bracket mounts it in the same position maybe if it was open behind the ECU it might cool it a bit. I like them under the battery or in front of the rad support (away from the rad of course).
Sheldon

headejm

Thanks for all of the good feedback! One more question about the new ballast resistor that came with the electronic conversion kit...The new one measures 1.4 ohms and my old original one measures 1.0 ohms. I'd like to use my original one if possible. Will the ohm difference cause a problem?

dodj

Quote from: headejm on October 13, 2018, 03:11:42 PM
Thanks for all of the good feedback! One more question about the new ballast resistor that came with the electronic conversion kit...The new one measures 1.4 ohms and my old original one measures 1.0 ohms. I'd like to use my original one if possible. Will the ohm difference cause a problem?
No. But why not use the new one? They are time sensitive devices. (Good to change on a regular basis)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill