Main Menu

Body Side Moldings Fastener Parts Needed

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 25, 2019, 02:26:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on July 25, 2019, 05:17:44 PM
I restored this Scamp..looong before Scamp's were cool....oh wait a minute...Scamps are still NOT cool... 8) :haha:

But the factory trim on this car was an aluminum strip that screwed to the car and then the vinyl insert pushed in after....

I'm guessing what you're after is totally different ?

I Agree, virtually the same trim my Challenger had...  The aluminum is fastened to the body & the rubber strip slides in...

Which is why months ago I posted a link to the company that made the trim & sold it to the major auto manufacturers...

https://www.customautotrim.com/body-side-moldings/rivet-on-molding/chan75/84/

anlauto

Where I'm not certain is the size of the holes on the original car I posted match the clip David posted, but I can't see how the aluminum trim would attach that way and still have the vinyl slide in insert  :looney:

We need more info Kevin
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

@anlauto here's one.  I will gladly get you more precise shots tomorrow. Just let me know. This is an old ratty one in my collection. The white clip is new and just laying there. The black one is old and still snapped in.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

anlauto

Those look like 71-74 Cuda belt molding clips that require a stud welded (or screwed) to the body. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

7E-Bodies

@anlauto nope. These clips screw in and the two studded ones go on each end and get a small nut. The middle nylon clips snap into the chrome.

anlauto

What I said is they "LOOK" like Cuda belt molding clips...which use studs
http://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MP%2DDTMC7174B

7E-Bodies

You did say "look". You must've typed it too fast. I'm a slow reader.  :brainiac:

7E-Bodies

A little update/follow up. Sharing an accidental find, thanks to @MoparDave
The Challenger body side moldings indeed had a threaded stud clip on each end with 6-7 nylon clips in the middle. After talking to Dave, he was only able to come up with the nylon pieces and we'd resolved I'd be making all twelve of the studs. I'd also ordered the lower rear vinyl top trim clips from him and of course he got me them in a couple days. When I opened the package, they began to look strikingly familiar. Nearly the exact same part with a slightly longer stud. (See the pics of an original vs the new). I can easily cut them to length and am giddy about yet another body side moldings hurdle being cleared. Dave, I'll be ordering another set of these!  @Cuda Cody you may want to put this one in your notes if there's ever even one more guy goofy enough to go back with these!