Main Menu

E-body radio wanted

Started by CudaHead, March 04, 2020, 01:54:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Well gees if you wanted the wrong radio for your 70 Cuda....you should have just bought the reproduction AM/FM that has all the new modern internals  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

dmastr3665

i have a 1974 radio that came in a box of parts that came with the 74 i just bought, it looks like a piece of junk and im not even sure if its am fm or just am i can take a closer look at it tomorrow and if its something you can use just make me an offer of what you think its worth and il sell it. dustin

CudaHead

Thanks for that input but I did look at that. The Aurora Modules are better that those. One thing I really wanted was the USB input.
Take a look at:   http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Home.html
You can get Bluetooth, USB, HD Radio, Voice Commands.
Also, I wanted to have the option to tie in my 8-track to work with the radio.
These people can do that: http://garytayman.com/stereo.htm
Yes I decided to Mod my R22 8-Track Radio, but thanks for everyone that responded.

dmastr3665

i see you found one, the one i have is only am i looked at it last night

kawahonda

Is there any simple "cleaning" guides for these old radios, or do they need to be sent in to the pros?

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Bullitt-

Quote from: kawahonda on March 20, 2020, 05:25:56 PM
Is there any simple "cleaning" guides for these old radios, or do they need to be sent in to the pros?

used to use this on scratchy controls https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-control-contact-cleaner-and-lubricant
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

kawahonda

That's good stuff!

I'm wondering like always having to retune/adjust a station, hearing other stations/slight overlapping, etc.

I know there's a trim control, and it wants you to trim at 1400hz (I think). This only moderately helps.

Wondering if it's worth taking it apart and if there are things that should be cleaned. Being that it's "solid state", probably not.

kawahonda

The perfect e-body radio conundrum that no one has ever really solved...that includes Wards.

I hope I am not speaking just for myself, but I hope I am speaking for most people....

Option 1: Buy Reproduction AM/FM/Bluetooth radio. $500-600. Not correct for 1970 cuda/challengers. After spending that much money and still having something "not right", it makes you despise it. Oh yea, you also cannot use this radio with factory mono speaker, so add more money to change that out.

Option 2: Buy factory-correct FM radio for your car. $700-900. Who knows the condition. Ma Mopar had two brands, one of them is not rebuild-able. Either Philips or Motorola (forgot). This option sucks and is risky. Pretty sure it doesn't match what's on your fender tag as well. So it's still "not correct."

Option 3: Buy something that looks "period correct". While this option clearly doesn't look stock, there might be a point to it. However, I want stock.

Option 4: Have Wards (not anymore) or some other places charge you $400 to restore your AM radio. Well, $400 seems like a lot for an AM radio that looks pretty damn nice from the exterior that just needs its internals updated. We're talking AM radio here....Can't that price go down some?

Option 5: Keep listening to your stock AM radio, which barely gets 1 "music" station that is usually "hearable." Certain parts of town cause static, and usually some figiting with the tuner to keep it live every 60 seconds is usually required.

No good option. Maybe this recession will give us better options. I'm OK with listening to whatever is going on AM station, clearly, and consistently. It shouldn't cost $400 to get that in 2020.

Oh yea:

Option 6: Stick a $20 bluetooth speaker under your seat and just use your phone to do everything.