Main Menu

engine bay patch panels

Started by HP2, October 18, 2020, 02:09:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

HP2

Looking for some patch panels for the interior engine bay.  I know inner fenders and upper cowls are available in repop metal. Would prefer not to replace all of those, so I'm hoping someone out there has pieces they are willing to cut out of  basket case.

Need driver and passenger hood hinge area patches.  Also need the lowest portion under the wiper motor of the upper cowl.

1 Wild R/T

https://www.yearone.com/Product/challenger-cuda/js6022lhrh

Don't think anyone makes the lower cowl, they sell the whole thing but it's $$$$ Good news, the lower cowl is the same on 71-74 B bodies including four doors....

jimynick

you MAY be looking for unicorns there, because other then southern/dry cars, they're ALL rotten there. I'd make my own patch panels out of 16 gauge and R&R the cage nuts from the original rotted out pieces. Cut the rotted parts out, flatten them and trace/cut/bend them up. You could do the cowl too, but it'd be more involved and difficult, but not impossible. Either way, good luck with it!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

HP2

Agreed a lot out there may have similar rust, but there also are numerous cars being pieced out that might have good pieces. Just need to connect with them. I'm in no rush, so will continue to look for a while longer.  If I can't locate original pieces, I may pick up the pieces linked and hammer out the curve for the cowl piece.

Thanks for the tip on the B body relationship.

Rich G.

The hood hinge are is an easy fix because it's just a flat area. Wiper area will be a bit tougher but the same principle.

BFM_Cuda

@HP2

For the cowl, I have a couple, let me know how big you want the piece to be.

The brown one is probably the better one, but I will run it through the bead blaster before I send it.

Darin

70 Challenger Lover

I've switched out rusted inner fender panels and it's really not labor intensive plus the results can be made to look fairly close to original. The hood hinge areas are high stress areas. I'd be nervous grafting in pieces hoping the butt welds were just as strong as the original stamped pieces.

HP2

Quote from: BFM_Cuda on November 02, 2020, 06:29:49 PM
@HP2

For the cowl, I have a couple, let me know how big you want the piece to be.

The brown one is probably the better one, but I will run it through the bead blaster before I send it.

Darin

Wow, both of those look decent.  I'll reach out to you in a PM.

HP2

Here is the section I need for repairs.