Main Menu

Heater control valve

Started by Spikedog08, July 01, 2021, 09:52:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

Quote from: Rich G. on July 02, 2021, 05:58:02 AM
I have that metal one if you can't find one. And the mount is different like they said.

Thank you for the offer @Rich G.  . . Appreciate it.  I have one ordered at the local auto parts.  Just under $80 which is far better than the other that was looking to be over $200. Should have it Tuesday . . Thank you to all that gave Input on this thread and my dilemma. 
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

JunkYardFind

I talk a little bit about the four seasons metal heater valve in my dash trim video here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saCVQrKk6zE The heater valve part starts at about 21:15.

I had to bend the mount point on the valve back considerably to make it mount on the fender. I don't go into detail about that mod unfortunately. However, do be careful of the cable length, that's what threw me off on mine.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

MKA

I know this is an old thread, but after realizing my 70 Challenger AC car was missing the heater control valve completely, I found this one on classic industries.   

$63 and looks exactly the same but different part number.   Marked as New old replacement stock.  My order just arrived today, looks right.  I see everyone says it's unreliable but for this price  :dunno:

Website now says it will "arrive soon" but will allow you to place order

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/3502941.html

anlauto

WOW...you got a good deal on that one...I doubt very much they will have them "back in stock" anytime soon  :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MKA

Quote from: anlauto on January 18, 2022, 06:18:54 PM
WOW...you got a good deal on that one...I doubt very much they will have them "back in stock" anytime soon  :'(

Can't hurt to put an order in if wanted.  They don't charge until it ships.  at the same time I put the order in for the control valve, I also put an order in for the clips, also marked new old stock but "arriving soon".   Coincidentally just got the email today they shipped.   A little different since these are reproduced  :dunno:

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/3431457.html

cudaragtop

On EBay right now for $325
Glad I'm not looking for one.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

MoparLeo

Close but no cigar. It is the wrong one and will not work properly. The body is the same but the cable linkage is wrong and the valve will not open properly. Compare the correct valve with yours.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

MKA

Quote from: MoparLeo on January 19, 2022, 06:30:18 PM
Close but no cigar. It is the wrong one and will not work properly. The body is the same but the cable linkage is wrong and the valve will not open properly. Compare the correct valve with yours.

Oh, that's a good call out.   Thanks for the pic.  Easy to see, and really good to know for the 2-300 dollar ones on eBay.     Looks like it could still work, the clips are the same and I don't see where the overall action is different, but if it's not to be it was worth the shot for $60 dollars.

I'll come back with an update when I get there.

Rich G.

If you're not building a concourse car for $60 I'd use it. Got to be better than a leaky one.

anlauto

Wow, that's really odd how the pivot action tracks differently :thinking: As mention the cable attachment, and even the pivot points are the same, so I wonder how the action inside is affected ? I would use it as well... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

I am using one of the "incorrect" coolant control valves on my car, mainly because I paid like $50 for it on EBay and it basically looks correct. Since I don't drive my car in cold weather, I only need the valve to shut off coolant flow to the heater core.  :cheers:

MoparLeo

The travel length of the heater cable is longer giving a longer stroke on the valve mechanism.

HP_Cuda

Are you guys talking about this out of a 1970 Cuda?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

EV2RTSE

That's the metal version, they were available aftermarket and / or factory for late 73-74 from what I can determine. Good for day to day use since the bakelite units crack easily.

MoparLeo

The a/c version was different.