Main Menu

Hemi Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

Started by VCODE, January 25, 2021, 01:52:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

VCODE

Looking for NOS Hemi Exhaust Manifold Gaskets. Part # 2780534 Could you let me know if you have any for sale. The aftermarket ones just will not do.
Thanks Bob
PM or Email: robertconca@optonline.net

Topcat

I would like to understand the logic why aftermarket gaskets won't be acceptable.
Yet 50 plus year old gaskets that are probably more fragile than a 30 year old Popcorn Fart, are acceptable.   

There are some exceptional Aftermarket exhaust gaskets out there that don't burn thru or blow out.
That old cardboard crap back then is good for a short period. Then back to the shop and replace.

F.P. Gaskets blew out on me once before, forcing me to drop the engine and re do the gaskets.
Never again.

BIGSHCLUNK

Topcat

FE5CUDA

Quote from: VCODE on January 25, 2021, 01:52:16 PM
Looking for NOS Hemi Exhaust Manifold Gaskets. Part # 2780534 Could you let me know if you have any for sale. The aftermarket ones just will not do.
Thanks Bob
PM or Email: robertconca@optonline.net

MOPAR never used gaskets on exhaust manifolds back in the day, the machined surfaces between the head and manifold is all there was.

VCODE

Quote from: Topcat on January 25, 2021, 07:11:55 PM
I would like to understand the logic why aftermarket gaskets won't be acceptable.
Yet 50 plus year old gaskets that are probably more fragile than a 30 year old Popcorn Fart, are acceptable.   

There are some exceptional Aftermarket exhaust gaskets out there that don't burn thru or blow out.
That old cardboard crap back then is good for a short period. Then back to the shop and replace.

F.P. Gaskets blew out on me once before, forcing me to drop the engine and re do the gaskets.
Never again.

Ok guys, I have tried 3-4 different aftermarket sets. All have a problem with size around the ports. The copper ones seem to be the best option, but the port size is wrong. I tried 2 different Mr Gaskets and the last ones I used looked good. They did not seal and leaked brand new.
This is a 1968 Hemi in  a Roadrunner. Any help, why can't I find ones that work.
I have seen the NOS ones against the Mr Gasket ones and they are not even close.
Thanks Bob

Floyd

Did you try ramflex?  No experience with Hemi application but these worked great on my 340 manifold to head pipe seal.

http://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_HEMI_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/6023.htm

They have multiple Hemi choices.  I think the link above link is right but check the others.

floorit426

In my opinion, Remflex, are the best. The problem is finding them. Summit does carry two different sizes, for the 426, but one is for a race hemi, and the other is for header applications. DO NOT get the RFL-6010. The ports are too big, and don't allow for enough gasket material around the lower edge. Instead, ask them for RFL-6023. These are made to fit stock manifolds. You want gaskets with a port size of around 1.85 x 1.75.

VCODE

Quote from: Topcat on January 25, 2021, 09:16:58 PM
Probably good for 100K wide open, and not blow out.   :1place:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sce-4266

Thanks Topcat.
This is what I have, We tried them and the rounded port on the gasket leaks.
Thanks Bob

RUNCHARGER

I've ran exhaust manifolds without gaskets on a Hemi and that worked fine.
Sheldon

VCODE

Quote from: Floyd on January 26, 2021, 06:03:33 AM
Did you try ramflex?  No experience with Hemi application but these worked great on my 340 manifold to head pipe seal.

http://catalog.remflex.com/MOPAR_HEMI_Header_Exhaust_Manifold_Gasket_p/6023.htm

They have multiple Hemi choices.  I think the link above link is right but check the others.

Going to try the Remflex, just ordered them from Summit.
Thanks Bob

Floyd

Recommend you pay attention to Remflex torquing guidance.  They can be destroyed by over torquing (DAMHIK).

VCODE

Quote from: Floyd on January 26, 2021, 09:57:09 AM
Recommend you pay attention to Remflex torquing guidance.  They can be destroyed by over torquing (DAMHIK).

They told me only 20ft lbs of torque.
FSM specs are 35ft lbs
We will see how this turns out
Thanks Bob

Floyd

I followed factory specs on my first set and crushed the first one beyond its limit.  Pretty slick after I got them installed correctly.  No problems going on 10 years.  Granted, the head pipe seal is pretty simple compared to what you're dealing with.  Good luck!