Main Menu

In search of Challenger Body Side Moldings

Started by 7E-Bodies, June 24, 2019, 04:08:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I'm interested in what most guys would rather not have.  The dreaded body side moldings.  Ideally, the pale green ones.  Almost white with a hint of green, typically faded to make one think that they're a bone color or a dirty white tint.  I'd even entertain a severely damaged one as I already have several in black and in blue...some are NOS.  Mine need to be the light greenish white as described.  I'm currently planning to remove the vinyl inserts, clean, prep and re-color, but I'm having trouble finding the original color.  Regardless of fade, I'm thinking I can peel one back (heat gun from underneath should do it) and get to the unfaded and unweathered color.  However,  a set of NOS in that color (coded as V5F) would be spectacular.  Anyone?  Any leads?  Pic attached is from another member that had some photos of his old ones, but he's not interested in letting them go.

Kevin
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

Still seeking, if there's even a chance out there...

truckinman466

I would be interested in the ones you have in black if you aren't going to use them. I really need a driver side front fender one

superdave

Not to hijack the thread but I'm wondering why they are so disliked. Perhaps because quality reproductions aren't available? or do people really not like the look? :dunno: I think they look great, I'd love to have a car with them on it. :alan2cents:

cuda hunter

I'm into the other set if your selling!

They are kinda ugly, however if your car came with them and you need them they look great!

I have an M46 that needs a set of blacks. 

Rarely have I seen the blacks. 
The greens have to be the hardest color to find. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: superdave on August 26, 2019, 07:42:21 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I'm wondering why they are so disliked. Perhaps because quality reproductions aren't available? or do people really not like the look? :dunno: I think they look great, I'd love to have a car with them on it. :alan2cents:

They detract with the clean lines...   At least they aren't quite as bad as the door edge guards...

7E-Bodies

Any color can be made to work, including the ones I have. I can remove the vinyl inserts with a heat gun, paint them with a flex based paint to the color I need, then reapply them to the chrome, but I really need to find even an old beater of a green one to peel back in order to get to the unfaded side for a perfect color match. They're laying in someone's garage attic or shed as we speak.

cuda hunter

Would be horrible to paint an nos set of another color.  I'm only saying that from the view of the guys who need them.

Definitely something that is laying around in someones property.  Probably behind the barn getting worked into the shrubbery.

Good luck !!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

7E-Bodies

@cuda hunter I totally agree, and I even have some NOS BLUE ONES. Try and find some of THOSE. I absolutely HATE making them green, but what can I do? My car is one of the only F8 RTs with V5F body side moldings, possibly even the only one. I'm committed to returning it to factory. Black ones seem to be the most common, yet I'm not getting a lot of bites on my search for ANY color.

cudaize

I have some Challenger side mouldings if anyone is interested.  Below is what I have

(2) Left Quarters

(1) right quarter

(2) doors

(1) long fender  different years had different lengths

(1) short fender

All have black rubber with some nicks.  If someone wanted to straighten, polish and possibly get these anodized all would be good candidates except the right quarter.  This one has two gouges about 1/4" long, 1/16" or so deep that I don't believe could be worked out completely without filler metal.

Mike Afflerbach