Main Menu

pitman arm for ta

Started by Harley, February 25, 2020, 04:00:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Harley

I'm looking for a good fast ratio pitman arm for my ta, mine is worn and sloppy. Have any of you used the proforged arms? Or does any one have a nice original to sell?
Thanks!!!

Ns1aar

Rare Parts
621 Wilshire Ave.
Stockton, CA
U.S.A 95203
U.S.A: +1-800-621-2005
They rebuilt mine many years ago

Cuda Cody

Harley

Thanks for the information, I'll check with these folks tomorrow.

rftroy

Harley,

Just following up.  Did you have Rare Parts rebuild your T/A pitman and, if so, was the quality good?

I'm in the same situation.  T/A fast ratio arm with loose joint.
I called Rare Parts and they went over rebuild process, but would like some feedback if you have any.

BTW, Firm Feel (and Proforged) Fast Ratio arms will not fit the factory T/A box.  These fast ratio arms fit the 1.125 sector shaft spline, which was used on the manual box and the standard power steering box.  The T/A box used the larger 1.25" sector shaft.

Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

MOPAR MITCH

RFTROY -- Regarding the shaft size, when you order the Pitman arm from FirmFeel, you tell them the shaft size... they offer both shaft sizes.   Although i haven't seen it myself, I've heard that the aftermarket Fast Ratio Pitman arm does not have the alignment spline opened up to properly align it back onto a T/A box...  so, you have to use good eye-judgement.

Same matters from above is with the Fast Ratio Pitman arms from other vendors -- Hothckis, P.S.T., etc.   It wouldn't surprise me if the manufacturer is the same source for all the vendors.

rftroy

Mitch,
I think you're bringing up a long buried memory.  Yes, you can get a large spline shaft, but the factory T/A shaft index splines orientation were unique. And, as you say, I also vaguely remember that the aftermarket arms don't have the alignment splines.  So, you can line them up by eye and by measurement and all should be well.
I stand corrected.
Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

Ns1aar

Quote from: rftroy on October 05, 2020, 01:37:47 PM
Mitch,
I think you're bringing up a long buried memory.  Yes, you can get a large spline shaft, but the factory T/A shaft index splines orientation were unique. And, as you say, I also vaguely remember that the aftermarket arms don't have the alignment splines.  So, you can line them up by eye and by measurement and all should be well.
I stand corrected.
Robert
In what way are the splines different I have an AAR with the fast ratio everything seem to be the same.
My rare parts rebuilt pitman arm is fine been on the car since 2000 something

MOPAR MITCH

If I recall correctly, there is an open groove on the shaft of the gear box that must also match with the same open groove on the factory OE fast-ratio pitman arm.   I recently had my T/A box rebuilt by Firm Feel, and they sent back my factory OE Fast-Ratio pitman arm loose in the carton... in other words, they did not re-attach it onto the gear box (possibly for packaging concerns as it would've taken more space or a different carton to ship it back to me.   The re-alignment was clearly visible from the splines; without the open groove spline on the pitman arm, it would then have to be eye-balled for proper re-attachment.