Main Menu

challenger roof or patch for sunroof

Started by Shoooter, September 26, 2021, 08:31:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Quote from: Shoooter on October 31, 2021, 09:55:05 PM
If I could get ahold of the member here with the original roof would you use that ? Or would you go with a aftermarket one? Is AMD the best ?

Twice as much work :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shoooter

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 01, 2021, 05:14:34 AM
you mean the original piece that was cut out?  I wouldn't bother trying to weld that back in.  It'll be a challenge to control the warping and getting a nice seamless repair that won't be visible through the final paint when it sits out in the sun on a warm summer day.

AMD makes a great complete roof that installs like factory original.

No not the piece that was cut out  just wondering if a original roof would fit better or if I should order a new one. If I ordered a new one is AMD the way to go or have others had good luck with other brands. Repairing the hole is not a option

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Shoooter on November 02, 2021, 01:12:24 PM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on November 01, 2021, 05:14:34 AM
you mean the original piece that was cut out?  I wouldn't bother trying to weld that back in.  It'll be a challenge to control the warping and getting a nice seamless repair that won't be visible through the final paint when it sits out in the sun on a warm summer day.

AMD makes a great complete roof that installs like factory original.

No not the piece that was cut out  just wondering if a original roof would fit better or if I should order a new one. If I ordered a new one is AMD the way to go or have others had good luck with other brands. Repairing the hole is not a option

I misread.   I thought you said the guy who had THE original roof, meaning the piece that was cut out.   You were referring to someone not associated with your car at all, but happens to have an original roof.

I would like to use original metal to restore my car just because it's truly factory original stuff.   If it's in good shape and you can get it to you for a reasonable price, I would go that route.   But, if it's going to cost double what an AMD roof sells for...I'm afraid I would be going with the AMD piece because they're supposed to fit just as well and once the car is done, nobody will tell the difference

johnr

I just finished doing an AMD roof skin (this turned out to be what the OER skin from Classic Industries was). I am quite pleased with the end results.  :ohyeah:
--  johnr  --