Main Menu

Wanted: A/C vents for 71 'cuda

Started by RacerX, July 21, 2020, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RacerX

Looking for a complete set of A/C vents.   Only need the vents, no ductwork.

Center double vent, passenger single vent, and driver side "spot cooler" vent with
dash panel for rallye dash.

Anything out there?

RacerX

Still looking....

A/C vents for the dash, 70-74 E-body

YYZ

FWIW you can poach the center and passenger side vent fins from a '71-4 B-body, including a 4-door or wagon.

Keep the surrounds from your E-body, punch out the pins holding the broken vents (or remove clips -- it's been a while and I don't remember precisely how they go together), and replace with the donor parts.

For the passenger side, you can either omit the flapper, or you can use a black zip-tie to hold up the control rod.  Functionally it will be perfect and the zip tie will be almost invisible.

If you're going for OE Gold though, that's another matter!

Driver's side you will probably need an E-body part, however, the actual vent itself is the same for all 5 years of production, and the same for standard and rallye dashes.  Just swap out the fins as with the other vent assemblies.

YYZ

This assembly from a B-body will give you the parts that you need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154068343248

This is not my auction and I have no connection to the seller — link is posted as an example.

There was an article in Mopar Muscle years ago on how to R&R the finned sections - @njsteve IIRC that was in your era, you may have even written the article.

RacerX

Quote from: YYZ on September 24, 2020, 12:13:42 PM
FWIW you can poach the center and passenger side vent fins from a '71-4 B-body, including a 4-door or wagon.

Keep the surrounds from your E-body, punch out the pins holding the broken vents (or remove clips -- it's been a while and I don't remember precisely how they go together), and replace with the donor parts.

For the passenger side, you can either omit the flapper, or you can use a black zip-tie to hold up the control rod.  Functionally it will be perfect and the zip tie will be almost invisible.

If you're going for OE Gold though, that's another matter!

Driver's side you will probably need an E-body part, however, the actual vent itself is the same for all 5 years of production, and the same for standard and rallye dashes.  Just swap out the fins as with the other vent assemblies.

I had heard that the B-body vanes will swap in.   Thanks for confirming.   That is good news because with the E-body vents the vanes always seem to be destroyed!   I have some extras of those from the parts car for my 74 Roadrunner.

But for the 'cuda I need the whole vent assemblies as right now I don't have any...        With being able to repair them with the B-body vanes that means they don't need to be perfect, just needs good bezels and whatnot.

RacerX

Quote from: YYZ on September 24, 2020, 12:57:26 PM
This assembly from a B-body will give you the parts that you need

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154068343248

This is not my auction and I have no connection to the seller — link is posted as an example.

There was an article in Mopar Muscle years ago on how to R&R the finned sections - @njsteve IIRC that was in your era, you may have even written the article.

I had actually looked at that same ebay auction to get a visual on the b-body vanes without having to go outside and look at the roadrunner

Would be nice to dig up that article, although I can't imagine it being all that difficult as long as due care is exercised.

71vert340

Are these 71 Ebody dash vents? They don't look like my B-body ones and I can't remember where I got them. The small one on the e-body heater/fan drivers side control panel is E-body but not for a Rallye dash. You can see in photo 1 the center vent has a corner broken off the face which I have and it's stuck on in photo 2 with some masking tape. I've been reluctant to sell them because  the vanes are all there but a few aren't connected to the wire and the face corner is broken.
Terry

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RacerX

Yea those are the ones I need...

Would you consider selling them?

71vert340

I guess so. I can take better photos.  PM me if you want better photos and if you're still interested, we can work something out.
Terry