Main Menu

Wanted: Horns for E-Body

Started by VCODE, February 16, 2023, 11:58:11 AM

Previous topic Next topic

VCODE

Looking for Prestolite Hi and Lo note horns for a 70 Challenger. Part #'s 2808869 & 2808868
Real nice working ones, restored or restorable
PM or Email
robertconca426@gmail.com
Bob

mccannix

Are you looking for any specific dates Bob or will any do as long as they are clean and working.

VCODE

Terry,
Prestolite's clean and working would be fine.
Thanks Bob

benguin

Bob- if you get a set of non-working, they can usually get going pretty easily.  Else, I know a guy in Wisconsin who does a very nice rebuild of them.  I may have have some non-working singles- will need to dig into the garage.

70_440-6Cuda

Also looking for a correct set of horns for June '70 'Cuda - thanks
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

7E-Bodies

@benguin who's the guy in Wisconsin Refurbishing them? Mine are original and working but if they come back clean and looking new for a good price, I might not do them myself.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

benguin

@7E-Bodies  Gary Steinkellner up in Beloit.  I had started accumulating several non-function horns (2 from a harsh lesson in getting them media blasted).  I sent two dead Prestolites up to him and they came back looking fantastic, and I swear my horns were never this loud. Can't tell they were opened up and rebuilt either- good attention to detail.

Here's his site: https://www.carhornrestoration.com/

Ben

Jay Bee

I wonder how Gary attaches the two halves. Most DIYers just use machine screws with nuts.

7E-Bodies

Question. Are both horns supposed to sound identical or is one high and the other a lower tone?  Mine are the latter.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

EV2RTSE

One high and one low. High gets installed on top.

benguin

Quote from: Jay Bee on February 22, 2023, 02:17:30 PM
I wonder how Gary attaches the two halves. Most DIYers just use machine screws with nuts.
They are rivets that look very close to my originals.  I just now did a closer look, and there is a bit of a dimple on the firewall side compared to my original, but that might have been from more paint over the years.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

VCODE

Quote from: benguin on February 23, 2023, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Jay Bee on February 22, 2023, 02:17:30 PM
They are rivets that look very close to my originals.  I just now did a closer look, and there is a bit of a dimple on the firewall side compared to my original, but that might have been from more paint over the years.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Those look pretty good. Can't really tell.
Bob

Mr Cuda

I've been digging for horns along with everything else.
I do have a question,  maybe it's a dodge vs plymouth  thing and i have no dodges.
All my horns are the same size., both high and low note.
The pictured one is larger on top. Is that standard in  70?

anlauto

They are the same size...in the picture, it's just closer to the camera  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

Quote from: Mr Cuda on February 23, 2023, 04:32:59 PM
I've been digging for horns along with everything else.
I do have a question,  maybe it's a dodge vs plymouth  thing and i have no dodges.
All my horns are the same size., both high and low note.
The pictured one is larger on top. Is that standard in  70?

My 70 Challenger "upper" horn says HI on it. I can't see the lower horn without taking it off. which I can can if needed.