Main Menu

340 HP test

Started by Chryco Psycho, March 06, 2017, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

Cuda Cody

Steve Magnante is a Mopar guy through and through.    :bradsthumb:

RUNCHARGER

In my town we had the biggest and baddest musclecars back in the day and the guys that owned them were always open to a little action. But the little A-bodies with a 4 speed, 340 and 3.91's always held their own. Just about all of them had a set of headers and that was all they needed. Best bang for the buck you could get back in the day.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

one of my first Mopars was a 340S fastback 68 Cuda , the motor had a spun brg when I bought the car , I threw it back together with the Hemi grind Purple shaft & it freakin hauled ass , made a Ram air 3 , 4 spd GTO look darn silly one night  :stayinlane:

RUNCHARGER

This (the white 69) was probably the fastest street car I had back in the 70's and 80's. 4 speed, 3.91's, balanced with 11.5 compression, ported X's and a solid camshaft. I kept the stock intake under the Holley 750 though and stock valvecovers. I tried to keep it a bit grimy under the hood but the cat was out of the bag pretty quick and I couldn't goad any of the tunnel ram big block boys into racing it after a while. I pulled the lever at 7500 usually and it was an animal.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

HP_Cuda

About 120lbs more going from a 340 to a 383. Looks like a winning combo for that horsepower based on the above article.

http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/6engineweights.php
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

I have vitually never seen a 383 outrun a 340

HP_Cuda

Precisely

Why add weight if you don't get the corresponding fun??
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

Say whatever you want about data regarding headers, but changed from a stock 1973 manifold and 2 inch exhaust to headers with 2.5 exhaust ALL the way back and my little 340 "WOKE UP."  Advanced the timing a little bit as it seemed hungry for more.  Willing to say it was worth the small fortune I spent.

Been checking out the "reference material" section today.  Great work everyone.