Main Menu

Challenger Elastomeric Bumpers M73 M71 A21 A22 M72

Started by cataclysm80, April 25, 2020, 07:16:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudamadd

Wow What a fantastic post . And so informative not too mention great photos , Just enjoy learning this stuff Thank you  :australia:

MONC

Just coming across this post, great info and pics, thanks for posting.

From what I heard and you also stated , that rubber bumpers were not available with the wide chrome trim, but I have BOTH options listed on my broadcast sheet. As you posted, there are a few wide chrome cars with the rubber bumpers, but curious to know if any of them have both options on their broadcast sheet.

Also, cataclysm80 sent you a PM.

swisshemi

Here is a canadian non R/T (JH27...) with A22 code on FT and BS. M71 + M72 on BS.

swisshemi

MONC

Thanks for posting Swisshemi !
Interesting that the FT shows A22 ( both front and rear elastomeric bumpers) and then it is called out SEPARATELY on the broadcast sheet for front and rear. You'd think it would show on the broadcast sheet as M73 ( both front and rear ) .

No M28 on that car though so no wide chrome moulding on front, but what a cool car.

cuda hunter

@MONC

Do you have your build sheet with both options listed anywhere.  Would like to see it for the records of having a "non available" option, made available by the factory. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

RzeroB

@cataclysm80 great original post!! It always surprises me how much the factory would change what was available and when you could, or couldn't get some particular option. Thanks for posting!!  :clapping:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

RzeroB

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 26, 2020, 01:40:06 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on April 26, 2020, 12:45:39 PM
the original list includes FE5 "bright red" & FJ6 "green-go"  :thinking:  but they are not on the part # list or the 9/14/70 memo - DO THEY EXIST?

the '71 e-bodies officially went on public sale 10/6/70

I wondered that same thing.
The July 6th 1970 Ordering Guide says that rear bumpers wouldn't be available in those colors until the end of August, and the September announcement doesn't list them as being available at all anymore.
I'm guessing there's no rear bumpers in red or green.
The Ordering Guide doesn't mention any color availability problems for front bumpers though.  If front bumpers existed in those colors, what happened to them?  Maybe repainted, or sent to the warehouse for over the counter repair sales?  The September announcement says that M71 became available about the same time those colors were discontinued, so it would have been pretty difficult to order one, but maybe they could have ended up on a sales bank car?  They'd be ridiculously rare, and even if someone found a car with them, it probably wouldn't have the broadcast sheet required to document it.

It seems like there's definitely more bumpers floating around than documentation. 

I don't think it's very unusual to have them missing from the parts book.  There's no point in servicing those colors since they were discontinued so early.  Some parts just aren't available over the counter.  They wouldn't want to dedicate warehouse space to stocking a part that no one is going to order, and if anybody does need one, they can paint to match.   The Plymouth elastomeric bumper jack hook isn't in the parts book.  The early satin black aluminum trim panels for 70 Challenger tail panels aren't in the parts book either.  I'm sure there's other stuff that wasn't available over the counter.

Interesting thoughts on what may of actually happened. I find trying to solve these Chrysler "mysteries" to be fascinating. Almost seems like the factory was still undecided on what exactly they would offer?? Perhaps it was a internal struggle between what the design bureau wanted, the bean-counters said they could have and what the logistics chain said they could supply?? Maybe so few cars actually made it through with rubber-bumpers because the people responsible for ordering the promotional, dealer-ordered, and sales-bank cars prior to 10/06/70 didn't have a high level of confidence in the colors that might actually be available??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

PLUM72

Love the look.  Anyone making repops of these bumpers? 
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MONC

Quote from: cuda hunter on June 19, 2022, 07:40:13 AM
@MONC

Do you have your build sheet with both options listed anywhere.  Would like to see it for the records of having a "non available" option, made available by the factory.

Sorry for delay in reply, all the notifications went into my spam folder for some reason.
Attached is the M code lines from the broadcast sheet - click on pic to make it larger.
M28 for wide chrome moulding and M73  for what is said to be front and rear rubber bumpers.

My question is why M73 on the broadcast sheet is for BOTH front and rear rubber bumpers , when the description on the sheet for M73 states  REAR colored bumper.

MONC

cuda hunter

Quote from: MONC on June 24, 2022, 05:29:48 AM
Quote from: cuda hunter on June 19, 2022, 07:40:13 AM
@MONC

My question is why M73 on the broadcast sheet is for BOTH front and rear rubber bumpers , when the description on the sheet for M73 states  REAR colored bumper.

I'm curious to know the answer to that also.  Thanks for posting some info.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee