Main Menu

Challenger Pace Cars

Started by cataclysm80, September 25, 2017, 10:25:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

broadcast sheet shows "G34" painted mirror

yes, by "TRANS AM" time, racing mirrors were available in all colors

I'd be interested in the "other" VIN as well - this car +3 is a EF8/H6F8 440HP 4bbl Challenger R/T convertible  :thinking:

Kissimmee 2016 was the place to be!  I need to retrieve my pics from a dead laptop.  :tool:

340challconvert

When Pace Cars get together for a Party!
:banana:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 28, 2017, 12:17:25 AM
broadcast sheet shows "G34" painted mirror

Thanks, that's interesting.   When they repainted the car blue to be used as a pace car, I wonder why they didn't just paint the green mirror blue, instead of replacing it with a chrome mirror.

superdave

:twothumbsup: I love the pace cars, would really like to own one. I thought I had located one but it was produced in Nov. Of '70 so serial number is too low 24xxxx.  :crying:

RUNCHARGER

I agree: I like the colours they used on the package. They were attractive cars.
Sheldon

C_B5

Cataclysm80  a question on the list of VINs you provided
Are those ALL of the factory built pace cars ?

The reason for the inquiry is a friend of mine has a 71 challenger convertible that is originally EV2 orange but has a later VIN
I know that the first numbers of the VIN are "358" and the build date is 418
Also the order number begins with an "R" which the other cars also have - correct?
The build date and VIN seem to be too late compared to production of the other pace cars

He's owned the car for 30+ years and painted it plum crazy probably at least that long ago because he hated the orange color. From conversation he remembers it having the pace car decals on it when he first purchased the car. I will try to confirm that with him and see if he has any photos before the repaint.

cataclysm80

I wasn't personally involved in the project myself, so I can only share what my own research has turned up.
That VIN list was provided by Eldon Palmer before he passed away, and he indicated that it was a complete list of vehicles involved.  It even includes the Coronet station wagon.
It seems unlikely for their to be an error on his list, but maybe it's not impossible.

Like the Judy Ham clone car mentioned earlier in this topic, VIN 358XXX is too late to be involved in this project, so it doesn't look like your friends car is a pace car.
There were extra sets of decals floating around though, so your friends car could be another early built clone car similar to the Judy Ham car.
It may be worthy of researching your friends car and documenting what can be gathered of that cars history.

MOPAR MITCH

In recent years.. I get to be the club Pace Car at W2W race events... This is from Road America...

MOPAR MITCH

Here's some other pics...

340challconvert

Back in the late 70's I picked up a 71 Challenger convertible for $500 in hemi orange with a HP 383 automatic. The car had a flat hood and hood pins, which I thought was unusual.
Someone added the RT stripes along the way.
Always thought someone tried to spec it out as a Pace Car (had a black interior)

Of course I had to mess with it (added scooped hood and changed the 383 for a 340)
Another car I wish I kept and didn't alter

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Karlix

I have one of these pace car under the restoration. It has been changed rt hood, rt rear valance, rt exhaust tips and black interior by previous owner. I install new floorpan and new trunk pan. Nice car.
This is G code car one of these 52.

Spikedog08

That's awesome @Karlix !  Welcome to the site!  We have a couple members here that have pace cars!  Glad you signed up!

:welcome:   :wave:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

dodgemania

:welcome: to the site @Karlix   :cheers: nice pace car

JS29

:welcome: @Karlix  From central New York! Awesome first post.  :perfect10: