Main Menu

How To Prep & Paint a 340 T/A Engine

Started by T/A Kevin, March 09, 2017, 07:03:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

WOW!!!!  Aar1064 that looks about as great as you could ever want.  Nicely done.   :bravo:

Aar1064

Quote from: Cuda Cody on April 28, 2017, 11:10:49 PM
WOW!!!!  Aar1064 that looks about as great as you could ever want.  Nicely done.   :bravo:

Thanks Cody. Fingers crossed that it holds up well.

anlauto

I ceramic coat the manifolds with cast grey, supposed to NEVER rust again. Then I paint them orange. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Gary

I know I'm responding to an old post here, forgive me, but we are getting ready to paint 2 engines and I was researching here.  We will be shooting a 70 440 U code and a TA engine.  Here are a couple questions.
Fuel Pump?
440 on the motor
340 off
Dip stick and tube?
440 Tube natural and dipstick handle orange.  [that makes no sense but it's what the judge manual says]
340 Tube orange and  handle black
Motor mount brackets-The manual says the hardware, bolts nuts and washers, were zinc. Is that right?
Also Cody, I saw your six pack lid hanging in your paint booth. Did you paint that the same shade as the engine.
I guess I'm asking what was original and also what the judges will say?

Cuda Cody

Unless you have an original car that you can document and duplicate the answers to your questions will vary depending on who is the judge.  Ask Dave Walden who started with a 100% original vehicle and used it as the template to restore the car.  Then he has it judged and some judges still gave him a hard time with how he did it.  He had to have the original photos to back up everything he did.  So if you do not have an original untouched car to use as the guide for the restoration then it's going to come down to who is going to be judging it.  Because judges change from one event to another you could be chasing a moving target.

Also, I would not use my cars as guides because I do not restore mine to have them judged.  I do things the best I can and to a quality level and durability level that is often much higher then the factory.  I like my cars to looks stock and hold up for a long time. 

Quote from: Gary on September 12, 2017, 08:23:32 PM
I know I'm responding to an old post here, forgive me, but we are getting ready to paint 2 engines and I was researching here.  We will be shooting a 70 440 U code and a TA engine.  Here are a couple questions.
Fuel Pump?
440 on the motor
340 off
Dip stick and tube?
440 Tube natural and dipstick handle orange.  [that makes no sense but it's what the judge manual says]
340 Tube orange and  handle black
Motor mount brackets-The manual says the hardware, bolts nuts and washers, were zinc. Is that right?
Also Cody, I saw your six pack lid hanging in your paint booth. Did you paint that the same shade as the engine.
I guess I'm asking what was original and also what the judges will say?

kawahonda

Wow, necro'ing this thread, but I have learned a lot here as I'm about to undergo a "stock" style spray. I have original pictures of my engine, but they don't answer everything. A couple things that I am not doing is overspraying the manifolds and painting the section of the negative battery cable.

This thread answered my question about the dipstick (tube is sprayed, but handle is black) and the fuel pump (not sprayed). I was about to spray these items, so I'm glad I found this thread!

Wanted to ask you guys about the oil pressure sending unit. My guess is if the fuel pump isn't sprayed, then it's likely that the oil pressure sending unit isn't sprayed either...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66