Main Menu

J01 Driver Education

Started by cataclysm80, April 19, 2017, 09:29:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cataclysm80

I think this is a fairly rare option on an E body.   
(less than 0.1% of 70 Challengers, unknown quantity of other E bodies)

J01 Driver Education
Will probably have a D as the first digit of the Vehicle Order Number on the fender tag.
J01 will be on the broadcast sheet.
The dealer would get a price reduction and a tax break for each driver education car.
The car would be delivered to the dealer with these decals in the trunk.
Dodge had red decals, and Plymouth had blue decals.
The dealer would install the decals before delivering the car to the school.
The school would use the car for 1 year, and then return it to the dealer to be sold as a used car.

1970 Barracuda & Challenger used separate engineering drawings for decal placement.

1971 Barracuda & Challenger shared the same engineering drawing, but it's dated 9-15-70, which is after production began.
Early build 1971 cars would use the 1970 style of decal, as seen in the newspaper clipping.
Look closely at the door to see the decal.  (which the dealer did not install according to the engineering diagram, probably due to the billboard stripe)

Cuda Cody

cataclysm80

I'd show up for Drivers Ed in a 4 speed 71 billboard 'Cuda, wouldn't you?   :yes:

Cuda Cody

For sure!  I would too. 

Wonder where that car is now?

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 19, 2017, 10:44:51 PM
I'd show up for Drivers Ed in a 4 speed 71 billboard 'Cuda, wouldn't you?   :yes:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 19, 2017, 10:44:51 PM

I would be willing to take driver's ed over again and again if that was the car!! :cheers:

CudaMoparRay

That would be the first time a new student driver could actually intimidate the seasoned drivers and make them get out of the way lol

Spikedog08

Interesting thread . . . never really thought about it . . .  :thinking:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on April 19, 2017, 11:55:29 PM
That would be the first time a new student driver could actually intimidate the seasoned drivers and make them get out of the way lol

If you see how student drivers drive around here you'd already be giving them the right of way when it's not theirs.....  I recently was out in my Challenger & a couple buddies were in their cars, we came upon a "Student Driver" car that was clearly a danger , had to hang back for a couple miles waiting for a safe passing zone... I think she may have needed to change her undies after we roared by her...   

fc7cuda

I like the quote from the article "the fall class filled up as soon as word got out.."

Kinda says it all.  :banana:

Burdar

HP_Cuda

Could you imagine showing up for Drivers Ed and getting to drive a 4 speed 340 Challenger? Man that thing wouldn't last long at my school!!!

:twothumbsup:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cataclysm80

Thanks Burdar, it's awesome to see another drivers education E body!
I wonder if that car was coded J01.

If anybody else has pics of drivers education E bodies, it would be neat to see them.

Burdar

I don't know why it has the Rallye louvers AND side moldings.  :notsure:  Maybe it's just an aftermarket stripe and not a molding?

cataclysm80

Maybe they put the moldings on incase the student drivers banged into things. 

YellowThumper

Quote from: Burdar on April 20, 2017, 11:16:31 AM
I don't know why it has the Rallye louvers AND side moldings.  :notsure:  Maybe it's just an aftermarket stripe and not a molding?

I would suspect because of student drivers it was there for the added protection.

This was back in the day when driving was a privilege not a right as it is deemed now so everyone can pay in all the required taxes. Sales, registration, gas, road, insurances, etc...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.