Main Menu

N94 T/A Hood

Started by cataclysm80, January 23, 2017, 02:06:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

I just stumbled onto this post. Awesome info!  Has anyone found a source for the small rubber bumpers?  Thanks

GrandpaKevin

Great info :twothumbsup:

The T/A hood is my favorite.

I guess my swap meet bought T/A hood was made to look like the prototype one with the spot on the front for an emblem.

speeddemon

By chance does anyone here have more info. on this factory 71 340 N94 car? or any of the other 71 cars.

anlauto

Interesting....I guess you would have to ask Dan @6bblgt
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MOPAR MITCH

Great informative info!!!   T/A hood is my favorite for the Challengers!... and most functional for performance!

AAR#2

Quote from: Floyd on August 30, 2017, 02:19:37 PM
I just stumbled onto this post. Awesome info!  Has anyone found a source for the small rubber bumpers?  Thanks

The photo's and measurements posted previously appear to be missing key features, not noting the counterbore size, depth, a washer within a counterbored face and a smaller through hole that matches the screw size.

I have ones as posted in the photo's that match what came off of my AAR (I suspect T/A's were the same as I can't imagine Chrysler having two seperate parts for such limited runs that serve the same purpose. These often get mashed and deformed over the years so I made them as close to what I was able to deduce from the samples I had. Also, the sets made are tapered but not as heavily as the photos previously posted, and again closer to what samples I had.   

Brads70

Quote from: AAR#2 on November 23, 2017, 02:57:04 AM

The photo's and measurements posted previously appear to be missing key features, not noting the counterbore size, depth, a washer within a counterbored face and a smaller through hole that matches the screw size.

I have ones as posted in the photo's that match what came off of my AAR (I suspect T/A's were the same as I can't imagine Chrysler having two seperate parts for such limited runs that serve the same purpose. These often get mashed and deformed over the years so I made them as close to what I was able to deduce from the samples I had. Also, the sets made are tapered but not as heavily as the photos previously posted, and again closer to what samples I had.   

Anyone have a close up picture of these installed? Some measurements also would be great?   Where do they sell these? I don't have them on my hood.  Although I'm wondering if they would fit right as my hood is a reproduction?

AAR#2

Quote from: Brads70 on November 23, 2017, 04:26:31 AM
Quote from: AAR#2 on November 23, 2017, 02:57:04 AM

Anyone have a close up picture of these installed? Some measurements also would be great?   Where do they sell these? I don't have them on my hood.  Although I'm wondering if they would fit right as my hood is a reproduction?

Theres a picture of the installed position on the lower portion of page 3 of the thread for a T/A. I've also attached a pic from my AAR prior to doing any work on it. You can see the bumper is located on a raised feature of the underside, just below the three rivets used to hold the embedded bracket support.

I have plenty to sell, PM if interested.

varunner

This is a great thread.  I am in need of any factory documentation that shows that the T/A hood did not have a hood latch or ketch. Such as an engineering sketch. I'm pretty sure the T/A hood isn't shown in the FSM.  BTW, I'm convinced it didn't have it, just looking for it in B/W.  I wonder if the parts book would make that clear......

Thanks.

MOPAR MITCH

Are there special factory hood hinges for the T/A hood?  Or else, would any E-body hood hinge work?   I'm in the market to purchase new hood hinges .. replacing my ~40-year old chromed hinges (showing their age).

anlauto

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on December 27, 2019, 11:26:12 AM
Are there special factory hood hinges for the T/A hood?  Or else, would any E-body hood hinge work?   I'm in the market to purchase new hood hinges .. replacing my ~40-year old chromed hinges (showing their age).

I believe the hinges are the same, but the springs are smaller for the fiberglass hood. Reproduction springs are also available  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BillyB

Just to add some color to the 70 Shaker Hood "unavailability". The father / son duo that rebuilt my T/A 340 6-pack has a story about this situation. The father, Carlon Hine and owner of Hine's Racing Equipment out of Ohio, used to own a dealership in Kinsman, Ohio and sold a Shaker Hood 70 Hemi Challenger. He gave me some details about the car when I saw the car while dropping off my engine for rebuild. Of course I was curious and started asking questions. He stated that he sold the car new in late 1969. He took the Hemi Challenger in on trade in the mid 70s and has owned it ever since. He also stated that the Shaker hood on 1970 Challengers is extremely rare because the factory that supplied the hood experienced a fire and it shut down production of the Challenger Shaker hood for some time. At least that was what was explained to him at the time. I recall Carlon mentioned only 36 or so 1970 Hemi Challengers (or maybe Shakers total?) were delivered for the 1970 model year Challenger. I have no idea if this is accurate. It's just what I recall Carlon stating.

Anyways, here's a picture of the Hemi Challenger last I saw it back in 2010 or so. Carlon also owns the Honkin' Hemi drag car.

anlauto

The 70 style trim has clips with studs and nuts on the backside, you'll need to scuff the aluminum and paint to match the hood of course, but ya can't go without it, I think it would look odd :alan2cents:

Scooter

Quote from: anlauto on August 14, 2022, 05:12:33 PM
The 70 style trim has clips with studs and nuts on the backside, you'll need to scuff the aluminum and paint to match the hood of course, but ya can't go without it, I think it would look odd :alan2cents:

Banging... that's the piece of the puzzle I was missing. Been looking at the molding on the bulge hood for some time now....  Thanks 1k! Now I get the stress for drilling the holes for the molding and the hood pins... lol.

:bigthumb:

anlauto

Apparently, as I've just learned now, the T/A hood one is 1/4" shorter ???? I have no idea why that would be ???? I think you'll be alright because you have an aftermarket hood maybe. Measure the width of the hood compared to your steel hood....

Here's David's description:  https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/hood-lip-molding-70-challenger/

As a side note, you should always look to Roseville Moparts first for not only better pricing, but to take advantage of our member discount as well. :twothumbsup:

......and if you had of called them, and mentioned what you were doing, they likely would have explained the difference in the trim pieces. :drinkingbud: