Main Menu

Rare 1970 Headlight Warning Diode

Started by Cuda Cody, January 09, 2017, 02:04:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

How hard do you think it would be to make one?  :clueless:

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 09, 2017, 02:12:49 PM

Should be pretty easy.    Just need specs on diode.   :alan2cents:      :rebelflag"

headejm

Quote from: roadman on January 09, 2017, 02:16:51 PM

Should be pretty easy.    Just need specs on diode.   :alan2cents:      :rebelflag"

:iagree:

Cuda Cody

Looks like these are the specs on the 4004 Diode...

http://www.diodes.com/_files/datasheets/ds28002.pdf

And it looks like they are for sale at Radio Shack for $1.49.  Ummmm...  maybe I should make one.   :idea:

headejm

For under $5 you'll have a pretty rare part. Need some of that old school cloth tape.  :toast:

cataclysm80

It can be done.    :D

Topcat

I would suspect that if you had the headlight delay relay, then you also had the headlight on buzzer as well?

fc7cuda

:iagree:

I think both were part of an option, and if your car didn't come with it then you'd have to add wiring in order to install the delay relay.  I believe the delay it was behind the drivers kick panel of all places.

Has anyone installed(added) this to their car that could advise?  :popcorn:

Thanks
Tom

screamindriver

I wanted to post the story on Cody's first diode pic...That diode gets installed for the headlamp delay option...But to get that option you would additionally need the A01 light package{coded on your fender tag}...A01 = Light Package:
Glove Box Lock, Map/Courtesy Light, Reading And Dome Light, Glove Box Light, Ash Receiver Light, Trunk Compartment Light, Hood/Fender Turn Signal Lights, Ignition Switch Light With Timer, Headlight On Buzzer And Headlight Switch Light With Timer

Without the A01 light group the buzzer is just the key-in buzzer...But with the A01/headlamp delay option added, the diode bridges it's connector  and the key-in buzzer serves double duty for the headlamp warning buzzer as well...  Here's a few pics of the E body headlamp delay relay installed in my car...

screamindriver

The headlight delay option requires it's own sub-harness to power the relay...The dash also gets a notice near the headlight switch...So how it works is you shut the vehicle off but leave the headlights on....Now when you turn off the headlight switch the lights stay on for approximately 30 seconds then automatically turns themselves off...Pretty common by today's standards but state of the art in 1970...I can pull in the shop and have some lights for half a minute to get situated...    Here's a pic of the engineering drawing showing the location on the inner,left kickpanel area....And a pic of an original notice sticker on an E body dash...{Just an FYI..ECS makes that notice sticker}

screamindriver

I've made my own using a radioshack 3 amp diode in the past...The original 4004 is a 1 amp but they've been known to roast themselves so I upgraded to a slightly bigger diode...

cataclysm80

I knew you'd be just the person to chime in here.  :)

I probably need to add this to my Challenger so that I don't leave the car with my headlights on.
My modern daily driver has automatic headlights, so I don't think about turning them on or off much anymore.

screamindriver

Hi Tav.. it's a cool option to add...