Main Menu

Window anti-rattle clips

Started by bc3j, March 17, 2017, 07:59:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bc3j

Does anyone use these on their door side windows? I've only seen them (once) at a local show on a '73 Challenger. I cannot find reference to them in the 1970-1971 parts catalog. If they do belong on a 1970 Challenger, where exactly are they mounted? Under the weatherstrip at the curve by the A pillar? I think they are supposed to keep the window tight against the weatherstripping but don't know if they are really needed.

anlauto

I put them on one car, then took them off because they were damaging the glass. The original had a heavy plastic/rubber coating, the reproductions do not. :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

I can't say I remember seeing those on a 1970?   :notsure:  What year did they start using them?

screamindriver

Yeah, that's the big drawback...Why repop the part without the protective coating ??  The biggest time you miss those is when you're on the highway and try to roll up the windows..The  air pressure sometimes keeps the glass from seating back in it's position on the seal.. Pull the rubber strip down at the area you've assumed and you'll see the mounting holes in the stainless trim... I think they were considered part of the stainless trim not a servicable part that's probably why you can't find them listed..I have those on my 70...

Cuda Cody

Oh, that's why I don't recognize them.  They are missing the cover piece. 

jimynick

I've got them- actually, one, on my car and you could attempt to replicate the oem protective cover by using one of the dip coatings out there. It might take a couple of "dips" but that looks like what the factory did.  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Burdar

I've got them on my 73. They go on the top of the A-pillar in the corner. The original coating peeled right off of mine. I dipped them in plasti-dip a couple times before reinstallation. The glass put a tear in the plasti-dip the first time the door was closed. If they aren't absolutely nessesary, I'd leave them off. :alan2cents:

Plasti-dip is rubbery after its dry. I think the factory coating dried harder and the glass didn't "stick" on it when the door closed. Powder coating might work...might not.

jimynick

Panel bond epoxy would also be a good idea and it's usually black and pretty durable too. It flows out somewhat and I used a flux brush on the seams I sealed with it and it ended up smooth. Just a thought. You could ask a body shop to coat them when they were doing the next panel bond as there's usually some left anyways.
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Topcat

Here's a quick trick that'll help reduce chances of any scarring on the glass.

Get in the habit of rolling the window up tight.
Then crank it down just a hair where it's close to sealing.

This will reduce any marks made on the tip of the glass where they meet.
I've been doing this and it definitely makes a difference.

On another note:
I just thought of gluing on the inside edge a small soft felt on the  inside.