Main Menu

Garage light upgrade

Started by Dakota, January 31, 2021, 11:55:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Dakota

I came across a YouTube video (see link below) as a way to make use of the new LED lights being sold at Home Depot and elsewhere that can be threaded into a standard lightbulb socket.  Basically, you buy a flexible "gooseneck" extension that's about 2 feet long (or longer) and thread it into the bulb socket on a garage door opener and feed it out through the opening that's typically above the bulb.   The LED bulb goes in the other end and the gooseneck is  zip-tied to one of support rails for the opener.  This quickly and inexpensively (less than $50) provides an adjustable, very bright light overhead without running any additional wiring or conduit. The pictures below are from the first of several of these that are going up in my garage.

I've seen some warnings that the transformer inside these lights can interfere with the garage door remote signal, but I haven't had that problem. 

The Amazon link posted for the gooseneck with the video leads to an item that was "unavailable" when I tried it, so you will probably have to look elsewhere for one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RUF4lQ2n7H0

And yes, I have to get the cover back on my Challenger to hide it from drifting snowflakes. 

Cuda Cody

Looks pretty easy and looks to add a lot of light.  :clapping:

cudaragtop

Have a three of those in my garage screwed into the inexpensive ceiling porcelain light sockets.
Years ago I replaced one of the porcelain sockets with an 8' florescent fixture with 4x 4' florescent tubes.
Went back to the $1.58 porcelain fixture with these Deformable LED lamps. Less wattage and brighter.
Got mine on Amazon. They are Super Bright. I just looked for the most lumens for the lowest price.
I always look for items that offer free returns too!

Makes the garage look like daylight inside.
The Cuda tucked away waiting for a sunny day.

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

Poolshark314

Been looking to do that myself in the 2 porcelain sockets I have and leave the garage openers alone, but a lot of the lights I have seen on Amazon are not UL certified so i'm waiting on a deal on some UL certified lights.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

autoxcuda

Just saw a tv ad for this

Issue I can see is that it's a ton of light from one point.

You look up and it's blinding.

also.... SHADOWS. If you are doing something with your back to the light you've got shadows driving you nuts. And if you don't have your back to the light, it's blinding.

I like the $19.95 Costco lights daisy chained together to fill the garage with light
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Dodgem Doug

25 years ago when I built my shop, I put 8 300 watt condescend lights from the ceiling. Last year I bought LED Cob lights which screw in to a standard base and they're 15000 Lumen and use 65 watts. The only problem with these lights they create a strong RFI which interferes with  my overhead door remote and my stereo system. They really brighten the place up.

screamindriver

Nice shop there Dodgem... I've been converting to LEDs as I find the perfect fit for each application...The whole spectrum of lighting has shifted to a much brighter environment with just about half of them done...

70vert

Been thinking of doing the same, with similar setup (3 car garage w/2 porcelain ceiling light sockets). I have thought about the shadow effect mentioned, but maybe the extra light and simple-ness will outweigh that.

Quote from: Poolshark314 on January 31, 2021, 02:58:47 PM
Been looking to do that myself in the 2 porcelain sockets I have and leave the garage openers alone, but a lot of the lights I have seen on Amazon are not UL certified so i'm waiting on a deal on some UL certified lights.

Poolshark314

Quote from: 70vert on February 01, 2021, 08:33:37 AM
Been thinking of doing the same, with similar setup (3 car garage w/2 porcelain ceiling light sockets). I have thought about the shadow effect mentioned, but maybe the extra light and simple-ness will outweigh that.

Quote from: Poolshark314 on January 31, 2021, 02:58:47 PM

If you find any UL certified ones, let me know. I don't want to burn my house down over some light bulbs
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

cudaragtop

In my 3 car garage there are 3 porcelain fixtures.
Each one has one of these lights. Each one I have set a little different to make the best use of the available light.
By angling the panels somewhere around 30*- 45* there is a lot of light thrown down and to the sides. Point them where they work best.
The center points straight down the 3 adjustable panels point where I pointed them...

The brightness carries across the garage vey well with my 10'-6" ceiling height.
The light reflects well off of the white walls to give indirect lighting throughout and shadows where I am doing anything are minimal.

One of these gives more light with better coverage using less wattage than the (2) 4' florescent fixtures end to end with 4x 40watt bulbs that it replaced.

These are the ones I got from Amazon and they are UL Listed.
Free Prime One Day Delivery and Free Returns. If you don't like em, send em back...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB7L2JY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

autoxcuda

White walls and ceiling make a big deal.

You can bounce light off walls somewhat so it's not piercing your eyes directly.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Poolshark314

Thanks @cudaragtop i'll give those a shot. Oooo it even "Arrives before Valentine's Day"  :bradsthumb:
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

cudaragtop

I bought just one first to try.

Then I ordered 2 more...
Your mileage may vary.

And yes, don't look at them when they are on.
I know you are going to anyway but don't say I didn't warn you. 8)

- Randy

Spikedog08

Quote from: cudaragtop on February 01, 2021, 06:36:34 PM
I bought just one first to try.
Then I ordered 2 more...
Your mileage may vary.
And yes, don't look at them when they are on.
I know you are going to anyway but don't say I didn't warn you. 8)

- Randy

Any issues with your remote door openers?  I know some do interfere?  Thinking I may buy a couple . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

cudaragtop

No interference with my opener's remote controls...