Main Menu

Steering Shaft Bearing Removal Tool -No Welding

Started by DonnieB, September 27, 2020, 02:30:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DonnieB

I'm rebuilding a steering column for my newly acquired 1970 Challenger and I needed the Miller C-4044 tool that's referenced in the shop manual and on Cody's excellent videos.
I was able to make one from simple things I grabbed at my local hardware store. There is zero welding required and it worked perfectly.
I bought a threaded galvanized short pipe that will slide over the end of the column . I also purchased wall plate fixture that the pipe screws in to. Then I found a nut that would barely slip into the pipe and 8" fully threaded bolt. I  drilled and tapped the pipe so a set screw would keep the nut from spinning or moving at all. I then used the original retaining plate I had removed earlier to use as a temple to match the threaded holes in the column housing. I Drilled 3 holes in the fixture to mimic the original plate that I took off ... and screwed this tool to the column. One ( barely ) full turn of the big bolt and it all came off perfectly.  Yay.

Miller makes some nice tools , but they all start out the same way you did yours.

I like my Miller tools, Jim's tools, Lisle tools, but like when I make what I need also.

anlauto

Remove the whole collar from the shaft then the bearing easily pushes out with your thumbs usually or a light tap.....not sure why you would need this tool ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DonnieB

Well unfortunately after several " light taps" and the bearing housing not budging , a tool like this became imperative. I was concerned that harder " taps" would collapse the column. The shop manual warns of that so this was piece of mind and wallet.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration