Main Menu

Lisle 59000 valve guide cutter/reamer/liner install tool

Started by Duodec, December 14, 2022, 05:58:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

This toolset allows you to do valve guide replacement without large machinery; there's a couple of videos online about it.  Unfortunately  Lisle re-used the part number 59000 for some kind of serpentine belt tool, so searches get badly polluted.  The only place I've seen online listing one currently is a scam site (2040 dash parts dot com).  None on eBay for quite a while either.

Any thoughts on finding one?  I've been having enough fun with area machine shops that for the basic 318 rebuild I'm considering taking what I can in house.  So far I haven't found anything that needs actual machine work beyond cylinder honing and cam bearing installation except the guides are a little loose (and I'm not a fan of knurling).

Duodec

Forgot about this post.  After waiting so long, one of these showed up on Ebay earlier this year.  Both the 59000 and 58000, but I dawdled on the price (Buy it now was, I think, $425, about double the price I had seen anywhere else).    Someone bought both kits before I talked myself into it.  That released the floodgates and several more showed up but as auctions which went for over $800 and then around $1000.  Some were even missing parts and still got very high dollars.  The only one I think didn't sell was someone posting a buy it now at $1500.

So I guess there was a large, recent pent up demand for the tools.  But for the prices they're getting now I may as well use a machine shop.