Main Menu

Welding Helmet suggestions

Started by Jocigar, February 28, 2022, 08:10:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Hey all, did some rosette welding on fuel tank brackets over the weekend and not happy with my placement results ( I lost the hole a few times ) so I'm blaming the 20 year old speedglas auto helmet, not my skills or older eyes  :dunno:

There must be something better out there for the weekend mig welder now days   anything good in ~ $100 range ?  thx!

Filthy Filbert

I'm a big fan of my Miller helmet.   It's the digital elite in the "vintage roadster" finish.

MoparLeo

Here is what I have used for the last couple of years. There are a lot of good ones out there. Just do a little research for what works best for you.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Cudajason

my two cents for what its worth, spend the month on a good brand name helmet.

I purchased and auto darkening helmet off Amazon a few years ago and while it did the trick, it never felt dark enough even on the darkest setting.  My eyes hurt after welding.

I recently purchased a Lincoln auto darkening helmet and the differences are night and day.  even one or two off the darkest setting my eyes do not hurt.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Dmod1974

The Harbor Freight auto dimming helmet has served me well, and it held up to god knows how many hours of welding on my car over the course of 3 years, 4 or 5 gas bottles, and probably 50lbs worth of wire.

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: Jocigar on February 28, 2022, 08:10:40 AM

Hey all, did some rosette welding on fuel tank brackets over the weekend and not happy with my placement results ( I lost the hole a few times ) so I'm blaming the 20 year old speedglas auto helmet, not my skills or older eyes  :dunno:

There must be something better out there for the weekend mig welder now days   anything good in ~ $100 range ?  thx!

Before spending $100 on a new welding helmet you might want to try putting an $10 cheater lens into your current helmet.  That and better lighting has made quite a bit of difference in helping me see what I am welding. 

After using a the Harbor Freight auto darkening helmet for many years, I upgraded to this Miller Classic a few months back.  I paid less than $90 for it, but looks like prices have gone up a bit.

https://bakersgas.com/products/miller-287803?variant=32273459216486&campaign=15274287064&adgroup=&feeditem=&keyword=&matchtype=&device=c&network=x&gclid=CjwKCAiAgvKQBhBbEiwAaPQw3PFMNYt19-0QSn2RPXHCjDKcFhe8NgRmGHc-xtlzS89HYCLnSxf2JRoCMG8QAvD_BwE&creative=https://ad.atdmt.com/s/go;adv=11242241809840;ec=11242241809912;c.a=15274287064;s.a=google;p.a=15274287064;as.a=;qpb=1;?bidkw=&dvc=c&h=https://bakersgas.com/products/miller-287803%3Fvariant%3D32273459216486&gclid=CjwKCAiAgvKQBhBbEiwAaPQw3PFMNYt19-0QSn2RPXHCjDKcFhe8NgRmGHc-xtlzS89HYCLnSxf2JRoCMG8QAvD_BwE
Optics quality was an improvement, but not as much of an improvement as the cheater lens provided. :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

I had a HF unit at first and it didn't work well enough for me. Always left my eyes feeling very tired. Bought a Miller and it was a massive improvement. I love it.

Never tried a cheater lens but I might try it out. I agree that high power lighting helps tremendously. My vision isn't what it used to be but with bright lighting directly on the work, my welds come out really nice now.

dodj

I'm thinking your 20 year old speedglas helmet is probably better than anything you find now for $100. My approximately 15 year old speed glass still works great. Have you changed the batteries recently? Maybe they're a bit low?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

chargerdon

I also bought a HF inexpensive ($39) auto darkening helmet.   Have used it for many years...  thinking of buying a new one as the lens has gotten fairly scratched over the years.   Only complaint is its a little too dark before starting to weld so have to have a lot of light.   Great for outdoors in sunlight.   

Jocigar

thanks guys    I am using a spot light which helps, but seems crazy to light an area only to black it out.   

I should try welding with readers and maybe I should change the batteries on speedglas... never have.

I find that I'm lifting the shield too often between welds just to see. 

I might try the Miller elite as suggested, in black its 285 from baker.   bigger window and clear view sound nice.

OK if I can add on to this...  What weld threw primer do you use ??   thx

dodj

When you press the power button on the speedglas helmet, it brightens. Unless the batteries are too weak.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gzig5

I have a Weldmark insert that converts a standard helmet to auto-dark.  It works OK for MIG or higher current levels but is too dim for low current TIG. So I bought the expensive HF Vulcan Arc Safe.  The lens is very good, nice and clear, but I've been flashed a couple times at lower TIG levels and I don't trust it anymore.  So I'll be getting a Lincoln or Miller this Spring.  Really was hoping the HF would work out.  Not sure if it was the cold temp in the garage or what but I don't think it was the setup.

moparroy

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on February 28, 2022, 08:23:26 AM
I'm a big fan of my Miller helmet.   It's the digital elite in the "vintage roadster" finish.
100% - I have 3 different ones - the Miller elite I got from my step dad when he passed is way better than the other two. For any fussy work I use the Miller. Not sure you'll get it for $100 though.
I do keep the one that does not use batteries on my welder for quick jobs - bought it at a welding shop many years ago.
One other thing I find helps a lot is get an LED flashlight (I gutted one) mount it on a swivel magnet and place it close to the work to give you max illumination just before strike. the auto dark does not seem fussed by LED light (my halogens will trigger it)

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: gzig5 on March 01, 2022, 06:40:36 AM
I have a Weldmark insert that converts a standard helmet to auto-dark.  It works OK for MIG or higher current levels but is too dim for low current TIG. So I bought the expensive HF Vulcan Arc Safe.  The lens is very good, nice and clear, but I've been flashed a couple times at lower TIG levels and I don't trust it anymore.  So I'll be getting a Lincoln or Miller this Spring.  Really was hoping the HF would work out.  Not sure if it was the cold temp in the garage or what but I don't think it was the setup.

Cold temps can make helmets act fussy.  2 reasons.  1) the batteries lose power in cold weather.  Same reason why car batteries are rated in "COLD Cranking Amps"  or why people would store batteries in the freezer.    The chemical reaction that creates voltage/current slows down when it's cold.   and 2) the LCD or whatever technology is triggering the auto-dark feature reacts slower in cold weather.

Simple fix -- bring your auto-darkening helmet inside before you go to weld.

Mr Lee

I started out with a cheapy I got from Lowes.  It seemed to work fine.  Then I upgraded to a Lincoln Viking 2450 which I paid $189 for.  More than I wanted to spend but felt my eyes were worth it.  The difference in clarity and color is quite noticeable and I can see better when I weld now... which is helpful because with a welding helmet on, ya don't see much really, so every little bit helps.   :alan2cents:

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.