Main Menu

1970 A63 and M31 Option Codes

Started by kent_goins, June 11, 2017, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Hey guys;
Am having trouble understanding exactly what the A63 and M31 Options codes are. I believe my Challenger RT came with these options but need to verify.
A63 - Belt Moulding
         Front Splash Pan Scoop Moulding
         Cowl Moulding
         Rear Astrotone Applique

M31 - Belt Moulding

I understand M31 is rolled into A63 but could someone please provide a picture or pictures of what all these are. I understand the rear Applique but not the rest.

Thanks in advance,
Kent G

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 11, 2017, 07:02:53 PM
I think this is what you are looking for:

http://www.e-bodies.org/Resources/Engineering_Illustrations/Stripe_Adhesive_Molding_Side.pdf

No, thats not belt molding, thats protective vinyl insert body side molding....

Belt Molding is on the tops of the doors, tops of the quarters, rear of the hood & rear of the fenders....

The pictured car has belt moldings  ( look at the back edge of the hood & follow it back to the doors & quarters) , sill moldings ( lower rocker trim) & front stone shield molding  (Look to both sides of the front license plate)

6bblgt

A63 was the "moulding package" for non-SE 1970 Challengers (its contents were STANDARD on SE - JH29 & JS29)

M31 was part of the A63 package & was NOT a separately available OPTION on '70 Challenger

6bblgt

Sill Mouldings - sales code M25 were available on all '70 Challengers (they were NOT STANDARD on any model or included with any  package)

kent_goins

As usual....this board rocks and you guys are awesome. Thanks for the prompt response with pics!!! :)

KG

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 11, 2017, 09:30:54 PM
A63 was the "moulding package" for non-SE 1970 Challengers (its contents were STANDARD on SE - JH29 & JS29)

M31 was part of the A63 package & was NOT a separately available OPTION on '70 Challenger

Are the fender and hood pieces part of M31 belt molding, or are they an unlisted part of A63?

I feel like I've seen quite a few cars with quarter & door belt molding, but without the fender & hood molding.  As you say, I don't see any way to have ordered M31 by itself on a 70 Challenger, so do the fender & hood moldings just get damaged/removed frequently, or fly off since they're not held on with any clips?  The hood piece seems harder to find than the door pieces, which shouldn't be the case if they're made in equal quantities.

6bblgt

I think that's more of a "what came first: the chicken or the egg?" question :looney:

but I do believe "M31" on a Challenger consists of 4 pieces - to be consistent with other cars with 4 "roll down" windows

the 3 "cowl" pieces, "scoop" piece & "rear applique" don't have a "SALES CODE" associated with them individually

cataclysm80

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 06, 2017, 09:37:27 PM
I think that's more of a "what came first: the chicken or the egg?" question :looney:

Yes, it certainly is.  :) 

I like the idea of it being consistent with how other cars were handled.  (particularly the other E body, a Barracuda)

Thanks!

rogernewengland

I'd like to know how many cars like mine (V code automatic, hard top) were produced; 1640 listed on challengerspecs.com but of these, is there a breakdown with A63 M31.
Roger Brown

Spikedog08

Quote from: rogernewengland on March 11, 2018, 05:24:50 AM
I'd like to know how many cars like mine (V code automatic, hard top) were produced; 1640 listed on challengerspecs.com but of these, is there a breakdown with A63 M31.

Welcome to the site Roger . . . Unfortunately Chrysler didn't keep detailed records like that.  Information that is lost in time . . .

:dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

cuda hunter

List your fender tag and someone here might be able to give you some ideas anyway.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

@rogernewengland   There are some limited break downs based on colors and options, but not a complete list of all options combined.  So for example, there's ways to tell you how many of each color or of each engine model with 1 option, but not how many of each engine, color and multiple options.

Quote from: rogernewengland on March 11, 2018, 05:24:50 AM