Main Menu

1970 Challenger - How common are 15" wheels & tires

Started by 6bblgt, July 24, 2019, 11:26:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

it came up in another post, but 15" wheels and tires were pretty uncommon factory OPTIONS on B & E-bodies for 1970-'71
even though they were INCLUDED on all T/A Challengers & R/Ts with a HEMI - elsewhere they were down right "RARE"

here are the "ballpark" numbers for 1970 Challengers with 15" tires (accounting for 92.4% of production)

most of the E60-15 JH cars are going to be 340 4bbl (A66 cars) roughly 1 in 5, in a R/T (non-HEMI) it is less than 1 in 10

anlauto

I had a 1971 340 Cuda that left the factory with 15" steel wheels and dog dish. :bigthumb:

I restored another 71 340 Challenger with the same wheels, original owner told me in the first week he put mags on it and chucked the original 450's  :o :'( :crying:

Admittingly the rims should be black, I was unaware of the change over date at the time of the restoration, and couldn't find myself wanting to paint them black
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Rare indeed. My FM3 R/T had a really nice set of options on it including AM8TRK, Rear spoiler and E60's on Ralleys. Not my photo and not my car anymore.
Sheldon

headejm

@6bblgt Thanks for the data on 15" rims/tires. Any and all interesting facts and figures about our E-bodies are much appreciated.  :cheers:

bc3j

I was looking at this post with some curiosity. I have spacers under my bump stops and very faint red paint on my rear drums. I don't have a build sheet, it's a LA built car.  Is it reasonable to assume it could of possibly had 15" wheels when built?  I'm the third owner and I bought it with mismatched 14" road wheels. Three were Mopar and one was a Ford rim. It appears from the dealer sales brochure that the only 15" wheel available was a rallye. It's a R/T N code car.  Just trying to determine, if possible, what originally came with the car. A lot of guess work without a build sheet. I read somewhere that spacers under the bump stops indicated a 15" wheel, but I don't know if that's good information.

6bblgt

yes, the spacers are a good indication of 15" wheels - but it is not 100% foolproof, factory mistakes happen and lots can change in 50 years

original transmission?  the speedometer pinion has a different tooth count F70-14 VS E60-15 tires
spare tire?  the space saver spare was a mandatory OPTION with 15" tires, the mounting stud is different in length & location

198D13

Also check the door jamb sticker, it lists the tire size on it!

Morty426

Wow I am beating the odds!

All four of my 70 Challenger R/Ts are 15" wheels and all three of my 70 B bodies are 15" wheels.