Main Menu

1970 E Body Stamping Question

Started by pbajeff, May 08, 2018, 08:13:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

First off the weld nuts are incorrect for the battery tray and battery ground, the wire holder tab is wrong, there's mig weld at several points where the aprons and rad support meet the frame rail, the lower rad support has obviously been off and re-welded, etc...etc...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

pbajeff

:worship: 
OK then, guess that would explain not being stamped huh?
Now makes me wonder about some of the other stuff he has told me.
They owned the car since later half of 1970 and swore it had not been wrecked.

Thanks a lot for your input anlauto and the rest.

Cuda Cody

Yes, the front radiator support does look as if it's been replaced.  There's a couple of locations that give it away.  Due to speed and efficiency the factory used spot welds to put metal together whenever it could.  Plus several locations appear to show "small differences" from a factory piece that tells me it's been replaced.  I can not say for sure, but I would guess that it has been replaced. 

Here's a photo of a front frame rail of a 1970 E-Body showing you how the factory spot welded the frame section and the radiator support.  Hope that helps a bit.  I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's most likely the truth.  And you can still enjoy your car just as much and it's still going to be super fun to drive!   :burnout: 

pbajeff

Thanks Cody.
Now that i see that pic even i can see the difference.

It is kind of irritating still tho, but it is what it is. Time to move on and get this thing on the road again.
I did get a ton of history with the car from magazine it was featured in to multiple Starbird and other shows it was in.
It is still kind of unique in the respect.

Thanks again all.

Cuda Cody

Tell us more about the car?  How did you find it and what are your plans?   :popcorn:

pbajeff

Short version -
It was a special order car that was bought by a guy early in 70 who got inducted into the service later that year and was going overseas so he sold the car.
The guy that bought it from him did auto paint work so he repainted the car and put the stripes and mural on it that is in some of the other pics that I have posted.
The mural is hard to see in the pics but it showed the  Pinta, Nina, and Santa Maria ships floating on the ocean and he called it the "Spirit OF 76".
The car was some Darryl Starbird shows and several other shows around Kansas Missouri area over the years. Street Machine magazine did a write up on it in Jan of 76.
This owner also and another 70 Cuda that was a black with red interior and 383 - 4 speed in it. 
He started having some health issues some time in mid 2000s range so he sold the 2 Cudas to his brother.
The brother had had a friend of mine restore a couple of cars for him in the past so he brought the 2 Cudas to him and wanted those done also.
They did the black one first and then started on this one. This one kind of stalled out and has been sitting in the guy I know shop for close to 10 years.
I had seen the car several years ago and told him if it ever came up for sale to keep me in mind. Well they finally got together month or so ago and the owner called and made me an offer I couldnt refuse.
lol - maybe that isnt the short version.

I am going thru the all the parts now trying to determine what I have and what I need.
The car was taken apart over 10 years ago and not by my buddy, then it was moved a couple of times so I am missing a lot of pieces.
I want to put the car back together as right as possible. I would love to have someone with the expertise of alnauto finish it, but I just dont know that is possible due to the logistics and finances.
Once I get it all inventoried I can start getting some budgeting worked out then I will make a plan.

I do have those tires and wheels that were on it in these pics...

Cuda Cody

Cool story and some great history!   :twothumbsup:  You've come to the right place to get good honest and fair opinions about E-Bodies.  We're always excited to help and see E-Bodies be put back on the road.   :burnout:

anlauto

...and so this is a V code car white with red interior correct ?   Very cool :drooling:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

cuda hunter

What are the original options? 

Cool story.  Cool ride!
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

RUNCHARGER

I have a magazine from the 70's somewhere with your car in it.  Street Machine was the magazine I believe.
Sheldon

pbajeff

Yes sir. Original V code Alpine White with red interior.
The more I research it, I take it this was not a common color combo - like in I have not seen another V code with that combo yet.
Is there any place to see what the breakdown is for different color combos?
I know there were enough different ways to option out one of these that you could almost say they are all 1 of a few but it would be interesting to know.

The car still has number match engine and trans.
Here is a pdf of fender tag decoding.
I do have fender tag, but no build sheet.
I took the seats apart couple of days ago with no luck there.
Since the car was already apart when I got it, if it was stuck someplace else in the car then it is gone now.
Back When Street Machine mag did the article on it, the owner had swapped it over to a 4bbl carb so nobody knows where the original carbs wound up.
So far only thing I know I am missing are the carbs and air cleaner and the original wheels.
I did get the mags with tires still on them that were on the car in the article and they even held air.
Also have the original spare wheel and tire that came on the car new.

anlauto

IF it is the original spare, that could give you an idea of the rims it left the factory with, or at least the size. What's it have for a spare ?

It's a rare car that certainly deserves a correct original style restoration.... :alan2cents: 4:10 with auto is NICE too

6bblgt

:rubeyes: A couple clarifications for your fender tag .....

for the US spec. '70 'cuda hardtop (BS23):
EW1 (~2.7%) ~451 cars - #13 of 20 colors
H6E4 (~3.2%) ~535 cars - #8 of 20 interiors

BS23V0 w/D32 & A32 (~2.2%) ~ 368 cars

as you stated there are millions of combinations available with all OPTIONs considered & less than 20,000 'cuda hardtops built for '70

I understand ALL combinations are not practical or available but .....
(20 colors x 20 interiors x 7 tops x 12 stripes/mouldings x 6 engines x 3 transmissions = 604,800 combinations)

anlauto

What do you mean "#8 of 20 interiors"  Was there 20 different interior combinations ? :clueless:

pbajeff

Ok, corrected the pdf.
I was trying to do that off a pic on my phone and kind of missed couple of letters.

Thanks for pointing that out for me.