Main Menu

Fender Tag fake?

Started by cldeibner, August 07, 2022, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cldeibner

Hey guys! I am quite new to this space and need help on how to tell when a tag is fake. I was told this is a fake tag. Could you identify what about this tag tells you it's fake?

anlauto

The tag has a few mistakes, that make it an obvious reproduction.
TX9 as an upper door frame paint code is a major no-no on an E Body tag, all E Bodies had no paint required so they all got 000 there...
D56 is an axle code and axle codes never found their way on to E Body fender tags
V1X the roof code is always above the paint code at the start of line three

Those are just some that stick out to me, I'm sure there's more :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DeathProofCuda

I understand that there out good people out there that would like to learn how to spot fake tags, but I thought the general consensus was not to freely discuss this stuff online so that the scumbags making fake tags wouldn't get better at making fakes.

anlauto

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on August 07, 2022, 07:23:47 PM
I understand that there out good people out there that would like to learn how to spot fake tags, but I thought the general consensus was not to freely discuss this stuff online so that the scumbags making fake tags wouldn't get better at making fakes.

I think we're way past that now, that may have been true twenty years ago...but the more educated people out there that will be able to spot incorrect reproduction tags...the better it will be...How would anybody learn if it was all top secret amongst a few elite people ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: DeathProofCuda on August 07, 2022, 07:23:47 PM

There are currently two places making fender tags. One will get you a tag with accurate codes but still has telltale signs it is a new repro tag versus a factory original tag. The other will make you whatever you want and still has those telltale signs it is a reproduction. The key between the two companies is one will be accurately coded and one may not be unless you know exactly what you are doing or have your original fender tag to replicate.

I do not see a business making an effort to produce a "perfect" tag. Too many subtle things required to get it right.

That being said, this Gran Coupe's repro fender tag is not even close. The font is way off (2's, 4's, and 5's are particularly bad). There are codes that should not be on the tag and/or are in the wrong location as @anlauto pointed out.

Additional items of note: No N42 chrome dual-tips offered on a 383 BP - Gran Coupe, only dual-exhaust with turndowns. B41 manual disc brakes not offered on E-Body. E-Body requires B51 power disc brakes. 22" radiator is standard and should not be on the fender tag.
That countersunk screw on the right side is wrong, too. LOL

70_440-6Cuda

This might be a stupid question, but is the consensus here not to reproduce your fender tag if it is missing?  I was able to get me broadcast sheet, and was planning on having a tag made to match the sheet.  I would like it to be as accurate as possible of course.  I understand that there are unscrupulous people trying to pass cars off as something they are not so I certainly would not want to be one of those people...
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

71GranCoupe

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on September 02, 2022, 01:54:59 PM
This might be a stupid question, but is the consensus here not to reproduce your fender tag if it is missing?  I was able to get me broadcast sheet, and was planning on having a tag made to match the sheet.  I would like it to be as accurate as possible of course.  I understand that there are unscrupulous people trying to pass cars off as something they are not so I certainly would not want to be one of those people...

My opinion is, if you have the build sheet to document the replacement tag, go for it. Where the problem is, is when scammers are trying to peddle a car with fake/false documentation.  :alan2cents:

Skdmark

Quote from: 70_440-6Cuda on September 02, 2022, 01:54:59 PM

You will probably get lots of opinions on this.

If it would make you feel like the car is more complete to have the fender tag on it, then have one made up. As long as it will coincide with the car's broadcast sheet.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

anlauto

If you have your sheet, go ahead and make the tag...people here will help with the layout :drinkingbud:

Joegrapes

Here is the repro tag that Galen Govier made from my original broadcast sheet probably 15 years ago. I had one made just to make the car a little more complete. Even though my car looks mostly stock it's so modified now that not much is original.

usraptor

The thing that stands out to me about that tag is that it is too perfect.  Really?  The car is 52 years old and the tag looks like that?  Common.  The fender tag for my 'Cuda is original and you can read it, however, no way it looks that perfect.  :alan2cents:

71GranCoupe

Quote from: usraptor on September 02, 2022, 04:03:35 PM
The thing that stands out to me about that tag is that it is too perfect.  Really?  The car is 52 years old and the tag looks like that?  Common.  The fender tag for my 'Cuda is original and you can read it, however, no way it looks that perfect.  :alan2cents:

Most tags were bent up with one screw removed for paint. Then pushed back down, possibly with a rubber hammer, then the screw was put back in. Two tag cars had the two end screws taken out and then both bent up and then put back in place. I am sure there are other sequential processes done as so many different line crews.

torredcuda

You can`t trust hardly any fender tag without a broadcast sheet, original window sticker or other documentation to back it up so I don`t think keeping he knowledge secret does any good nowadays. I am a long way from an expert on tags but I knew that one was fake the second I saw it due to the font. I am missing the fender tag for my Barracuda but have the broadcast sheet, if it wasn`t just a lowly `72 318 car I would probably have one made for it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

FF376

My Challenger has a weird obvious fake tag that was done in the 80's sometime long before I owned it. I've never found a build sheet and debated just removing it entirely...

70_440-6Cuda

I don't mind a reproduction tag as long as it is not being used to sell a car for what it isn't.  I would like to have the tag because it "looks" right, even if it is not original.  However, if the repros are so bad they look worse than not having one then sort of defeats the purpose, no?
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....