Main Menu

Missing Fender Tag and BC sheet. Dodge Challenger 1970 RT/SE

Started by MauSanchezC, September 21, 2021, 10:45:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MauSanchezC

I just recently got a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE, the vin number is JS29NOB136420. But, i dont have the Fender tag or the broadcast sheet. in order to restore it i would like you to help me to gatter all the original codes or options it had when it was for sale back 70s.

I just have the title, vin number, original interior, 15" wheels, air condition, 383 engine, automatic, matching numbers.

The car was repainted back in the 90s, the owner wanted to make a vanishing point replica, but he unfortunately died, her wife told us that it was original dark burnt orange. We believe it had a white vinile top Color (V1W), but thats it.

Can anyone help me to build a Fender tag, with all the possible options. ??

Mauricio.

Filthy Filbert

Unfortunately there is no way to reproduce a fender tag as original, without the original to copy from, or the build sheet from the car.    All the factory copies of that information was lost in a fire or flood or something years ago, or they were simply never kept...  I don't know the exact story.    I just know that for a certain period of years, there is no information available.

Here in the states, producing anything that's incorrectly fake is frowned upon.   While its only illegal to reproduce a fake VIN tag that changes what a car was, most in the hobby do not appreciate when someone incorrectly duplicates something then passes it off as original.     Without having the original tag or sheet, you cannot answer questions like "How do you know a previous owner didn't blow up the rear axle and replace it with one that has a different gear ratio"  "Did the original owner add or remove a center console?"    "Was it originally a column shift that was changed to floor shift?"   

Yes, you could document how the car is right now using the proper codes, but you won't know if that's correct or not.   

anlauto

You can have a fender tag made no problem, but it won't be accurate and most will call it out as being "FAKE" unfortunately. :'(
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on September 21, 2021, 10:59:14 AM
Unfortunately there is no way to reproduce a fender tag as original, without the original to copy from, or the build sheet from the car.    All the factory copies of that information was lost in a fire or flood or something years ago, or they were simply never kept...  I don't know the exact story.    I just know that for a certain period of years, there is no information available.

Here in the states, producing anything that's incorrectly fake is frowned upon.   While its only illegal to reproduce a fake VIN tag that changes what a car was, most in the hobby do not appreciate when someone incorrectly duplicates something then passes it off as original.     Without having the original tag or sheet, you cannot answer questions like "How do you know a previous owner didn't blow up the rear axle and replace it with one that has a different gear ratio"  "Did the original owner add or remove a center console?"    "Was it originally a column shift that was changed to floor shift?"   

Yes, you could document how the car is right now using the proper codes, but you won't know if that's correct or not.

I agree, it would just be a made up tag not authentic. And honestly it would not add any value to the car to have a fake fender tag, maybe even lower it. So I would skip that and just rebuild it either as you believe it came or better yet as you want it (assuming you are keeping not flipping).

Filthy Filbert

For what it's worth, I will likely get a fender tag made for my car.

If I do, it will say something like "Wanted: Original fender tag, build sheet, or engine block.  $500 reward"

Ifixmycarmyself

But why not give it a try. With all the knowhow and expertise here it shouldn't be to hard. Lets also assume were not gona make it pass for an authentic tag but just for the fun of having one. We are all pride of our Build sheet, fender tags and what have you. But these cars are already pricy and restored over and over. What is left out there are the backyard or swamp sitting cars for 30 years and they are often missing motor, tags build sheet and in some cases comes with only a bill of sale. They have donated a lot of parts to other now restored and mint condition cars, we should try to help them "back". We should be able to reverse engineer everything like a forensic investigation. Like Filthy Filbert says how do we know if the car had the rear replaced. well we could look at the 3-digit axle code and date and ring gear date to understand if it is correct for the car. how can we tell if it had column and replaced with a console?. We can never be 100% sure but we can look at the column shifter linkage attachment or console attachment welding and come pretty close... as close as you maybe are with a "legit fender tag" remember that companies lick Backeast existed some 30 years ago  :)
Starting from bottom we know the VIN, it's an R/T and SE that should give some codes down the line.
transmission: Automatic D32
Engine: E63
order number ?????? lets skip that for now.
SPD ???? lets skip that for now
upper door: 000
Trim: look at seats, probably leather HR, color??
paint FK5
Viny roof V1W
rally instr. std A62
power brakes look at brakes B51
Console, look inside car: C16
And then adding codes depending on car should be easy if stuff is still there. all the way up to line 1 or 2, EN1 or EN2. The SPD should be possible to find out, sticker in the door gives the mont. almost everything has a date code and at last it should be possible to look at a couple of vehicles with a serial number just ahead and above to come pretty close to an SPD the VON will be the tuffet and maybe the showstopper for this exercise  :thinking: Wouldn't be surprised if there is a way to find out..

cuda hunter

All of that sounds fine to reproduce a tag.  But leave the spd and von blank .  That way it is known that this car has had a reproduction tag made and anyone who cares will look and know it's a reproduction without those two, 3 digit codes. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Ifixmycarmyself

Quote from: cuda hunter on November 14, 2021, 05:01:15 PM
All of that sounds fine to reproduce a tag.  But leave the spd and von blank .  That way it is known that this car has had a reproduction tag made and anyone who cares will look and know it's a reproduction without those two, 3 digit codes.

Yes, That is perhaps a good compromise. God idea!

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: Ifixmycarmyself on November 15, 2021, 09:01:21 AM
Quote from: cuda hunter on November 14, 2021, 05:01:15 PM

Yes, That is perhaps a good compromise. God idea!

That's actually an awesome idea.  Maybe I'll do something like that.

Then I could also substitute the engine code for that of the modern gen 3 hemi cars, since that's the way I'm leaning with this car.