Main Menu

I googled it with no answers found, so I'll ask...

Started by Jocigar, August 08, 2017, 07:23:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

benlavigne

Quote from: Cudino on August 08, 2017, 12:41:48 PM
Thanks for the great question Jocigar, and great info from everyone.  Probably someone with much more info that me could narrow this switchover date/VIN# even further, but here's the VIN tag from my early 1971 Challenger with SPD August 29th (1970), before the asterisks were started.  And I should add that I am only referring to VIN tags from the Hamtramck plant.

- Wade

Cool, my car is less than 50 cars before yours!

Ben

Cudino

Quote from: benlavigne on August 08, 2017, 07:22:59 PM

Ben
That's cool Ben!  And not to hijack this thread, but do you know what dealership your Challenger came from? 

The reason I ask is because my car came from Mr Norms.  Mr Norm ordered a large batch of these early cars all at the same time, and in production some were assigned VIN#s very close to each other (for example another Mr Norm Challenger has the very next VIN# to mine).  Being a Mr Norm ordered car is cool on its own, but an even greater benefit is that a lot of their dealership records have been saved, including original window stickers, order forms, etc.  To check, you can run your VIN# by Larry Weiner of Performance West Group in CA.  If your car was a Mr Norm car he may very well have a paperwork folder on your car that you can purchase.

- Wade

6bblgt

Wade, Ben's car is a CANADA spec. R/T  :drinkingbud: ~3,400 ~2,300 builds after your Mr. Norm's R/T  :unbelievable: (bad math)

Cudino

Oh, OK, thanks 6bblgt.  Worth a shot asking...

- Wade

benlavigne

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 08, 2017, 10:05:42 PM
Wade, Ben's car is a CANADA spec. R/T  :drinkingbud: ~3,400 builds after your Mr. Norm's R/T

6bblgt,
How do you get the 3 400 builds, the VIN's are less than 50 units apart?

Ben

anlauto

Quote from: benlavigne on August 09, 2017, 07:30:19 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on August 08, 2017, 10:05:42 PM
Wade, Ben's car is a CANADA spec. R/T  :drinkingbud: ~3,400 builds after your Mr. Norm's R/T

6bblgt,
How do you get the 3 400 builds, the VIN's are less than 50 units apart?

Ben

I'm curious too ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

benlavigne

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 09, 2017, 10:43:29 AM
JS23N1B108*** VS. JS23R1B108804

VIN sequential numbers are 47 assigned VINs apart  -  "scheduled" for the same day (829) Saturday, August 29, 1970
(not sure the UAW was working Saturdays)  :notsure:

broadcast sheet "SEQUENCE NUMBER" are 2,352 vehicles apart  -  HEMI * 005665 VS. 383 * 008***
(I believe this to be each car's "sequence" starting point)

per door sticker dates: HEMI R/T was completed in August & 383 R/T was completed in September

Thanks for the clarification! How many cars did they produce per day? So they'd be rolling down the line according to the Sequence number, not the VIN?

Ben

benlavigne

Quote from: Cudino on August 08, 2017, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: benlavigne on August 08, 2017, 07:22:59 PM

Ben
That's cool Ben!  And not to hijack this thread, but do you know what dealership your Challenger came from? 

The reason I ask is because my car came from Mr Norms.  Mr Norm ordered a large batch of these early cars all at the same time, and in production some were assigned VIN#s very close to each other (for example another Mr Norm Challenger has the very next VIN# to mine).  Being a Mr Norm ordered car is cool on its own, but an even greater benefit is that a lot of their dealership records have been saved, including original window stickers, order forms, etc.  To check, you can run your VIN# by Larry Weiner of Performance West Group in CA.  If your car was a Mr Norm car he may very well have a paperwork folder on your car that you can purchase.

- Wade

Thanks for the thought Wade, I wish my car had the same kind of pedigree as yours, which I had the pleasure of seeing at MCACN a couple years back... Will you have a car there this year?

Ben

Cudino

No sweat Ben, and thanks for the nice comments.  I will be at MCACN again this year, but I'll be dragging out a couple of non-Mopars (egads!).  Will you be attending?  If so please say Hi.

- Wade