Main Menu

JS23U0B149184 looking for Broadcast sheet, history and other original documents

Started by redgum78, December 24, 2019, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

redgum78

EDIT-I unfortunately do not have the broadcast sheet for my 70 Challenger. Its a banana yellow car with black bee stripe and hood black out. AC, P/S and brown interior. Non matching HP2 440 and 727. I believe it was located in Utah and Nebraska between the mid 90's and the late 2000's when I purchased it. At that stage it was in poor condition and did not look like it had run for some time.
Any information on its history would be appreciated. I would pay decent money for its broadcast sheet should you happen to have it.

dirish@wideband.net.au

When I first brought the car it didn't mean that much to me nor did the cars previous history. All I wanted was a 1970 440 Challenger.

Some years after I brought the Challenger I brought a 73 Charger that came with all the original documentation. Broadcast sheet, all the dealer documentation, full service history, and a swag more. It was a 1 family owned car but even so it was amazing that all the documents were retained over such a long period.

Even though my 73 Charger is far less desirable than my U code Challenger this really opened my eyes to the historical value of original documentation and a cars history.
I now find myself curious about my Challengers previous live/s and find myself wishing I had even a tiny bit of original documentation.

I have registered and regularly searched the 1970 Hamtramck Registry. I have also followed the trail of previous owners back to about 2000 at which point I loose the trail.

Are there any other places I should be searching?
Is there anyone on E-bodies.org that has a stash of broadcast sheets that I should be contacting?

Thanks for your help

Dan

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

And of course Barry Washington has a ton of broadcast sheets. 
No list, but you can ask if he has it and he  will reply.   

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

6bblgt

Barry Washington is Hamtramck-Historical & he lists his found documentation on the website

search under the "found" section  :takealook: looks like ~22 pieces for JS23U0 cars

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/foundByVin70.shtml

6bblgt

7E-Bodies

@redgum78 describe the car and maybe post a pic or two. Several here owned cars back in the day. I owned a 70 440 U code Challenger myself and now own another. Mine was F4 quad green with a auto and AC.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

redgum78

Quote from: anlauto on December 24, 2019, 07:23:55 AM
Try Galen Govier as well :alan2cents:

Thanks anlauto, I did try him a year or so back and got no reply but I tried again after your suggestion and had a replay today asking for a picture of the VIN tag. Fingers crossed.

redgum78

Quote from: cuda hunter on December 24, 2019, 08:11:55 AM
And of course Barry Washington has a ton of broadcast sheets. 
No list, but you can ask if he has it and he  will reply.

Yep, have spoken with Barry and searched his site. Nothing there unfortunately.

redgum78

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 24, 2019, 01:49:48 PM
MOPARTS has a "lost & found" section

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2023/broadcast-sheets-l-f-e-body.html#Post2023

I have listed the broadcast sheets and/or fender tags I have found there  :rubeyes:

Thanks 6bblgt, I'll check that out, fingers crossed!

redgum78

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on December 24, 2019, 06:26:53 PM
@redgum78 describe the car and maybe post a pic or two. Several here owned cars back in the day. I owned a 70 440 U code Challenger myself and now own another. Mine was F4 quad green with a auto and AC.

Thanks 7E-bodies.

The car when I got it was a banana yellow RT with hood black out and rear tail bee stripe. Non matching 440 HP2 engine with 727. Brown inertia, air conditioning and power steering. It was in poor condition when I purchased it in 2007. It also had rear shackle extensions, over ride springs and pump up shocks so I am thinking it spent its last few operational years as a tow vehicle??

From the little I can tell from the previous owners it spent time in Nebraska and Utah between the mid 90's and 2007. Prior to that i have no information on it.

I do have the names of several previous owners but I don't think it is fair to post them- If anyone thinks they know the car I would be happy to share the previous owners names in a non public conversation.

What do people think about sharing the VIN online? Is there any harm in adding that to the subject title?

Thanks

Dan

6bblgt

IMO
publicly sharing good information is necessary in any hunt for documentation/history
I see no harm in sharing the VIN & contact info that will be good for years to come

not to steal your thread, mine's:
JS23N0B405351
& I've been using dhead68@hotmail.com for ~25 years

I have at least the VIN for 300 "JS23U0" '70 Challenger R/Ts *** unfortunately there were ~3,000 of them, so I can only account for ~10%

redgum78

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 25, 2019, 02:40:24 AM
IMO
publicly sharing good information is necessary in any hunt for documentation/history
I see no harm in sharing the VIN & contact info that will be good for years to come

not to steal your thread, mine's:
JS23N0B405351
& I've been using dhead68@hotmail.com for ~25 years

I have at least the VIN for 300 "JS23U0" '70 Challenger R/Ts *** unfortunately there were ~3,000 of them, so I can only account for ~10%

Mine is JS23U0B149184

cataclysm80

I'm not sure what kind of dead end you're hitting with tracking down previous owners, but Facebook might be worth a shot.  It's practically made for getting in touch with people you haven't heard from in years. 
It also has groups of people who work together to find lost cars or lost info.  Who knows, maybe there's a previous owner out there who'd love to know what happened to their old car.  If you don't find the owner, maybe you'll find a friend of family member who knows something.
Here's a link to the Lost Muscle Cars page on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/lostmusclecars/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARCSB4swidio_CTRX82PglIHilj392VUjQWDcjlMK8koVFmu-D9DyCHqvM7d1EvjUJ6Xmn3DpcWFMCUV

Another place you could try is VIN Wiki.  They have a website, but honestly the phone app works better.  I think it was designed for phones, and they're still working the bugs out of the desktop website.
VIN Wiki was built for people to share stories about cars.  People share fun stories, wild stories, sad stories, repair photos, scans of original documentation, they even use it to store regular service records so that they don't have to keep the paperwork.  Everything is organized by VIN.  You could think of it like a registry for every vehicle ever made.  If I find some lost paperwork, I can upload it there with the VIN, and hopefully someday the owner of the car will log in and find it.  A scan or good photo is better than nothing, and maybe they'd try to reach out to see if I still have the document. 
I've already checked, and there's nothing for your VIN on Vin Wiki at the moment, but you should make an entry on it for your car.  The site is only a few years old, and growing rapidly, so maybe someone who knows something will show up in the future, and when they do, you want them to find the car and contact you.  The site runs with usernames like most forums, so you don't have to worry much about privacy, it's fairly anonymous.

Good luck and happy hunting.