Main Menu

Understanding Vehicle Order Numbers VON

Started by mtull, December 26, 2023, 02:42:44 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

Hey Folks,

I'm trying to gain a better understanding of Vehicle Order Numbers.  I found some of our forum posts mentioning VON's starting with: 'M0.....' in conjunction with Y14: ordered, Y16: sales bank codes.  For a moment I thought I was starting to grasp the content but then I found pictures of some tags with VON's starting with 'M0', 'M1', 'M2' but no corresponding Y09, Y14, Y16, etc. on the tag.  What's the significance of my observation (if any)?  I read a few threads multiple times hoping the knowledge shared by others would sink in but no luck yet.

Thank you

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

mtull

@MoparLeo

IF you scroll down a little on this page you will see references to various V.O.N and related codes. 
Notice how the examples on said page start with 'M0' and also references code 'Y16'? The presence of the two aforementioned codes on the fender tag indicates a SALES BANK car.  There are other 'Y' codes indicating similar uses. 

With that said, I'm trying to understand V.O.N's containing an 'M' but followed by a digit other than zero (i.e. 1 or 2 or 3)

https://www.mmcdetroit.com/VON/
V.O.N.   REL.   CODES   MEANING
MO****      Y16   SALES BANK
MO****   A53   Y16   SALES BANK/AAR CUDA
MO****      Y16   SALES BANK/SHOW CAR
M99***      Y16   SALES BANK/SHOW CAR

I did a poor job articulating my question the first time.  Hopefully my second attempt at asking is a little more clear?
Thank you for the assisting.

MoparLeo

OK. But again are you trying to decode a specific car ? Or is this just for FYI ?

cuda hunter

Are you only interested in E bodies with M von's?
Or only interested in Hamtramck productions with M von's?

I have seen far more M von's on C bodies. 
It appears that the "reason's" for M von's coincide across the letter lines. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

I am posting this as a copy and past from FC7_plumcrazy from another website. FCBO
Please don't crucify me if it is inaccurate.
Apparently there used to be a site that had a list of what each VON meant but it is unavailable. 

B=canada
C=canada
E=export
K=special order
M0=show car
M9=sunroof car
Q=public relations
T=chrysler release
W=dealership rental car
G=sunroof car (in 1971)
J=first letter of all Super Bird VONs
M=all VONs of AAR Cudas
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

mtull

@MoparLeo, @cuda hunter,

Sorry to make you ask twice @MoparLeo, I didn't catch-on until @cuda hunter asked a similar question.  Thank you both!  I didn't think to mention those details.  I'm interested in 1970 E-Body, specifically Challenger from Hamtramck.  The door tag on my car is 9-1969.  The scheduled build date on the fender tag is 911 and the VON starts with M18 but has no 'Y' codes other than Y05 which I believe is built to U.S. specs?

Thanks again for the help

MoparLeo

I don't know how old you guys are, but there was a very famous radio personality who used to tell a story about any subject and you didn't know where he was going with it until the last part. His famous quote was " and now you know the rest of the story". Short meaning. It always helps to get as much info up front as possible if we are to help you. Never assume anything.
If you go to the DR. and just say that you have a problem and nothing else, how can he diagnose the proper remedy for you ? Details count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r6YueRZ4RI&list=PLfCi0nwY15zCK8isU1g2sFVFA-nfMGLIM

6bblgt

my take:
there was a department/office at Chrysler Corp. that processed car orders, their order forms had VONs that had the "M" prefix (Mxxxxx)
this office was used for normal SALES BANK "Y16" cars as well as special/promotional use cars for any plant & any model Chrysler/Dodge/Imperial/Plymouth
for the 1970 model year these forms spelled out the specifications for:

pre-production "PILOT" cars (M02xxx), "promo show" cars & SALES BANK (M00xxx),
special promotions: "Blue's Gran Coupes" & others (M02xxx), AARs (M02xxx - M04xxx),
Challengers (M18xxx, M20xxx, M21xxx, M22xxx),  did these have a special use or were they simply SALES BANK?
sunroof Chargers (M99xxx),
final buildout SALES BANK (M00xxx), etc.

cuda hunter

I have two "regular" challengers with M VON's.

I do not have one T/A with an M von.

Not all AAR's have M von's. 

The other M von's I have are all special cars. 

I collect images to try to understand.  I do not have thousands upon thousands of tags.

I hope that you will post your M von as it may help with the understanding of the M von's on challengers for myself as well as the next guy who has a similar question.
Information is key.

6bblgt

Quote from: mtull on December 26, 2023, 08:14:03 PMspecifically Challenger from Hamtramck.  The door tag on my car is 9-1969.  The scheduled build date on the fender tag is 911 and the VON starts with M18

orange Six Pack car?  broadcast sheet?  what else can you share?

mtull