Main Menu

What is the difference between the L42 and the L74 option

Started by JSmithTN, October 03, 2022, 11:45:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JSmithTN

I recently purchased the "Restoration and Judging Guidelines Compendium" from David Wise in search of reference and photos to assist me in the reassembly of my 1970 'Cuda.
It is a very well done source of information.
The build sheet for my 'Cuda has a L74 code on line 9, which according to the decoded breakdown that I have from Galen Govier states that L74 is a "Lite: Title Switch w/Time Delay" and the decoded sheet from E-Bodies.org states that it is a "Headlamp Switch Lite w/Timer".
The only reference that I seen in the compendium was for a L42 code, which is for a headlight delay relay.
The question that I have is what is the difference in these two codes?
Thank You
Jeff

anlauto

I THINK....L42 delays the headlights off after the car is shut off....pretty rare option. (corrected)

L74 is the flood lamp that shines on the headlight switch....part of the A01 group

I COULD BE WRONG...that's just my understanding of the two codes...

Hopefully Dan will set us straight @6bblgt ????
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

71GranCoupe

Quote from: anlauto on October 03, 2022, 01:32:43 PM
I THINK....L42 is a reminder that the headlights were left on....pretty rare option.
L74 is the flood lamp that shines on the headlight switch....part of the A01 group

I COULD BE WRONG...that's just my understanding of the two codes...

Hopefully Dan will set us straight @6bblgt ????

I agree, this may be a Dan specialty question. Here are my thoughts, L42 is a time delay on the headlights and L74 may be an option not available on E Bodies. L42 is rare and does not/has not appeared on the FT. L74 comes up in some research as, Folding Lamp Delay and Title Switch w/time delay.

mccannix

Quite sure it was available on E-body but rare and seldom seen.
Here's the decal was on an E-body corner rallye bezel

anlauto

Didn't Dave Waldon have that option on his black Hemicuda ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

L74 = part of the "light group" A01 OPTION - flood light time delay on the switch panel  *  ( is this the complete set of cluster flood lights ?? )

L42 = OPTION - time delay on headlights (shut off ignition then headlights, lights stay on for ?? time then automatically shut off) - the EB3 6bbl Fury GT has this  :bigthumb:

~170 on 1970 'cudas (BS) & ~680 on 1970 R/Ts (JS)

anlauto

mccannix

Dan
"Flood light time delay on the switch panel" is just that,... only on the switch panel.
It does not illuminate the gauge cluster.

JSmithTN

Skdmark

Quote from: mccannix on October 04, 2022, 05:10:08 AM
Dan
"Flood light time delay on the switch panel" is just that,... only on the switch panel.
It does not illuminate the gauge cluster.

:iagree:
I have A01 on my 71 R/T. Nice option package.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

6bblgt

so ..... L74 is this additional light * part of the A01 "light package" ONLY & it has a time delay