Main Menu

1970 Challenger R/T 440ci w/6-pack, shaker and 4-speed

Started by Robseg, August 22, 2018, 07:56:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

E74cuda

I agree on the 25ish range for the car based on the limited information. The rust will definitely add to the restoration cost. Doing the restoration yourself along with subbing out things like some of the metal and body work, it will be 40k at least for the restoration considering most of the correct and expensive parts are there to be restored. I believe that the exterior color will hold the car back some in pricing when finished. I'd say that the 75-85 value when done may be a little on the high side.

HP_Cuda

Heck I could jump in my Cuda and drive a couple of miles and take a look at it if anyone wants.

It would be easier to see once he pulled it out of there though.

:)
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

nsmall

Quote from: E74cuda on August 24, 2018, 09:04:05 AM
I agree on the 25ish range for the car based on the limited information. The rust will definitely add to the restoration cost. Doing the restoration yourself along with subbing out things like some of the metal and body work, it will be 40k at least for the restoration considering most of the correct and expensive parts are there to be restored. I believe that the exterior color will hold the car back some in pricing when finished. I'd say that the 75-85 value when done may be a little on the high side.

Lets say it costs 25k for body work and paint, wouldnt it be another 25-35k for everything else?  Not trying to disagree with anyone, just curious what others think of the total resto cost on this one.

RUNCHARGER

Last two Challengers I put together cost $25k for "miscellaneous". Tires, shocks, balljoints, exhaust, radiator,  upholstery etc.
Sheldon

Morty426

Quote from: nsmall on August 25, 2018, 02:36:53 PM
Quote from: E74cuda on August 24, 2018, 09:04:05 AM

Lets say it costs 25k for body work and paint, wouldnt it be another 25-35k for everything else?  Not trying to disagree with anyone, just curious what others think of the total resto cost on this one.

I think my cost on restoring this car would be around $40K but I have a large collection of Challenger and California Sixpack parts that will keep the cost around there. 

The restoration costs on my 71 Challenger are already over $57,000 and I am not done yet, but probably no more than $3000 still to spend.  This car had a lot of expensive lessons learned. 

E74cuda

[/quote]

These days buying a project and hoping to be into it for what it's worth when done is slim to none. Someone would probably pay the 25k either knowing they will be under water when done or wrongly thinking they can do the restoration and have it equal out financially in the end which is wrong also. I have several cars that need restorations so I am continually pushing one through. It's always more than you think and $1000 dollar chunks just keep pilling on until it's over.

1 Wild R/T

You don't do these cars to make money....  Well to be more specific if you own the car you don't have it restored to make money..... The companies that do the restorations do make money.... If you have a Hemi Superbird thats been in the family forever & it truly needs to be restored then yes it's a sound financial decision to restore it.... Most of these cars who need to understand on the way in your doing it because you want to, not because your gonna make a profit....

And honestly those who are concerned about making a profit you probably don't want to buy their cars cause corners get cut to save money......

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Bottom line is this car, because it is so complete and unmessed with should go to someone that really loves the cars. If it doesn't go to someone who really loves these cars it will not get the resto it deserves, shortcuts will be taken, right parts will be switched for wrong parts all in the hope of flipping it on Ebay or a ground auction just to make a few bucks. Lets hope it goes to the right home to pay respect to the car and it's original owner who kept it intact all these years.
Sheldon

anlauto

$40K for a restoration is a joke ! :haha: Try doubling that  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Robseg

As the care taker of this car I will make sure who ever gets it will put it back on the road. I wish I could keep it but I'm not getting any younger and need to make a realistic decision. First thing I need to do is pull it out of the back yard and get pictures of it. I've had the car since 2005 and have finally come to terms it needs to go to a new home. I will miss it because it reminds me of my dad. He died way too young at 57. Time is short for me so it may take me a little while to get it out. 

nsmall

Sorry for the loss of your dad.  Cars and dads often have a lot in common.

I hope we have helped you understand what you have.  I hope you get the most you can understanding better now how much it will cost to "finish" the car and what it will be "worth" in the end.  Mopar parts are expensive and when you do a full restoration on one, it adds up very quickly. 

E74cuda

Quote from: anlauto on August 26, 2018, 10:06:53 AM

Alan, The 40k ballpark is doing doing the restoration myself along with having things subbed  out like the engine build and body work. I try to choose cars that don't need much metal work. 80-100 or so is signing checks.

anlauto

Just buying the reproduction parts it takes to do a proper full restoration will cost you $25K-$30K without any "mark-up" from a restoration shop.

The blue convertible I just finished took closer to $40K USD in PARTS ALONE....that's NOT what I charged my customer, rather MY COST with discounts from basically every vendor out there...

A lot of people make assumptions based on rough "ideas" or "plans" ...... I base my opinions on facts based off of several E Body restorations recently finished..... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

716bbl

E bodies are top of the food chain.
There was a almost exact copy of this car that sold like 2 summers ago out of Lincoln, Nebraska.
IIRC, it was a Minnesota car and ended up going to Finland.
N96, EF8, D21 missing a few under hood shaker pieces.
I don't remember what it auctioned for?
Both cool cars.
Bottom line, it should go to someone that would do it justice.
Hopefully the Owner and New Owner hit it off and are Both Happy.
I am sure Chris would do this car correctly.
Good luck and Thanks for posting such a cool car.

Morty426

Quote from: anlauto on August 26, 2018, 10:06:53 AM

We are not talking Canadian Monopoly money. 

Can you easily blow $80000?  Sure you can. 

But here is the advantage I have, I have been a Challenger guy for 36 years.  I parted out plenty of cars back in the day and I kept all my stuff.  I have a 40 foot shipping container filled with nice clean rust free California sheet metal.  So I don't need anything from AMD

So I think $40,000 will get this car done.