Main Menu

1971 Challenger project

Started by Northwindhome, September 27, 2018, 09:27:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Northwindhome

Thought I would get some input from people who know and thank you very much for your time.
I have a 1971 Challenger convertible. This was a Indy 500 pace car model driven by a member of the board of directors during the festivities. JH27 GIB 329644. I have owned the car since 1974. Sold a Mustang & never looked back. Last driven in the late 80's early 90's. Completely disassembled. Rust (this is Indiana things rust inside). Will need frame rails, quarter patch panels, trunk floor, etc. Lot's of work. I have everything except for 1 trim ring and the spare tire inflation bottle. I did not receive the tube of graphics. The first owner may have disposed of them.
Interior rough. Will need a top or a glass panel at the very least.
Sold the building it's in and now have to decide to sell or move to another storage location.
The reality is i will probably never have the time and resources to put this back together.
A few photos.
Thank you again for your time & input.

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @Northwindhome   :welcome:  Very cool car.  Are you thinking about selling it?  I know those cars are very hard to find and it should be saved and back on the road.   :banana:

anlauto

I would say $10K-$15K but tough to find a buyer for a major project like that. I guess your location would make a difference for a lot of people too.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

Sold the building = got $
Got $ + don't have time = call Alan.  :yes:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

303 Mopar

Quote from: blown motor on September 27, 2018, 10:23:36 AM
Sold the building = got $
Got $ + don't have time = call Alan.  :yes:

:iagree:  Take the funds from the sale, less they are already spent on something else, and send it all to @anlauto.  He's done a couple chally verts recently so should have a good idea on the cost.

superdave

:welcome: To the site....  :crying: That is very close to the TOP of my dream list, wish I could afford it. My brother has one just like that it's just not a pace car. Hopefully you (or someone) can get it back on the road. :banana:

anlauto

A car with such historic value deserves to be restored correctly, but at the end of the day, it's just a 318 convertible and one of 50 or so pace cars....When they come up for sale, they're not really selling for a lot of money. This car is nice that it was used at track, but she's seen better days, the rust repair alone would be $$$$
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I could be interested, the car is in Indiana? I assume you have a good title with it?
Sheldon

superdave

Quote from: anlauto on September 27, 2018, 12:21:29 PM
but at the end of the day, it's just a 318 convertible
:rubeyes: :crying: Quick someone wash Allan's mouth out (or fingers in this case) with soap!!  :rofl: I get it, we all have our preferences and he is exactly correct. For whatever reason those pace cars don't seem to get the respect I would think they should. Convertibles are tops in my book even a 318 or slant 6 and I'd love to have any of them and I would really like to have a column auto someday which no doubt this one is. :yes: :banana:
      dave

Jim Betts

Super Dave I agree with you and feel the same about topless mopars , but mopars have always been the red headed step children  when  compared with the other American auto manufactures, and looked down upon by fellow gear heads.  what do they know .very little and that's fine those folks can keep their mustangs and chevelles, & as to the lack of respect the reason is most likely the challenger pace car crashing into the band stands and killing 8 fans and the driver  if I remember correctly. Not a great debut for the Challenger as a pace car , and I think the one before was sport fury either a 66 or 67, and after 71 I couldn't tell you the next pace car Mopar was asked  to put out. As much as I love my mopars I can say their brakes have never impressed me, even my 2000 Dakota r/t had marginal stopping ability at best even when new.

318Stroker

Quote from: Jim Betts on December 03, 2018, 05:57:30 AM
Super Dave I agree with you and feel the same about topless mopars , but mopars have always been the red headed step children  when  compared with the other American auto manufactures, and looked down upon by fellow gear heads.  what do they know .very little and that's fine those folks can keep their mustangs and chevelles, & as to the lack of respect the reason is most likely the challenger pace car crashing into the band stands and killing 8 fans and the driver  if I remember correctly. Not a great debut for the Challenger as a pace car , and I think the one before was sport fury either a 66 or 67, and after 71 I couldn't tell you the next pace car Mopar was asked  to put out. As much as I love my mopars I can say their brakes have never impressed me, even my 2000 Dakota r/t had marginal stopping ability at best even when new.

Incorrect on the fatalities. Eldon Palmer, the Indy Dodge dealer was driving. He crashed into the photographers stand, injuring 29 people.
No fataliies, and no fans injured.