Main Menu

1971 Cuda 440

Started by Matt13, May 09, 2020, 10:47:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

So, hopefully you guys can help me kick myself in the head. It's 1994, and I just got back home from being stationed in California for the last 4 years. I have Navy money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm searching the Classic Autotrader. Come across a 1971 'Cuda with a rebuilt 440, new brakes, new rubber, all in primer. Pick it up for $6,500. My high school friend Jeff's family owns a body shop, so Jeff paints it In-Violet/Plum Crazy Purple for me (originally a B5 Blue car), but it was in primer, and I wanted a Purple Cuda. Everything works. Car is rust free. So much fun. Couple of years pass and I sell it to get a '66 Mustang Fastback.
  Question is, what would it be worth today?  :crying:

Bpret

A lot more than a 66 mustang :(

ec_co

3x what the FB is worth today, minimum. but I will say, next to an E or B body, a FB Mustang is high on my list of wants.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Matt M

What was the original engine or was it a 440 6 Barrel?

Matt13

Quote from: Matt M on May 10, 2020, 10:30:46 AM
What was the original engine or was it a 440 6 Barrel?
383 originally but it was a 1971 440 block used and rebuilt.

JS29

Four speed or auto? rallye or standard cluster? I like the 67-68 fast back better than a 66.  :alan2cents:

Katfish

How about some pics of the Mustang for comparison.
Real question is which car did you enjoy more?

Matt13

Quote from: JS29 on May 10, 2020, 12:46:08 PM
Four speed or auto? rallye or standard cluster? I like the 67-68 fast back better than a 66.  :alan2cents:
The mustang was a 4spd, the Cuda an auto. I can't remember if the Cuda had a Rallye cluster. I was a Ford guy; restored a 1965 Mustang I purchased while I was in the Navy and I was just much more comfortable with what I knew. Knowing what I know now, I would have put that  Cuda in storage and just kept my 1968 Buick Special for getting around (it's in the background of one of the Cuda pics.)

Matt13

Quote from: Katfish on May 10, 2020, 12:50:59 PM
How about some pics of the Mustang for comparison.
Real question is which car did you enjoy more?
Well, I liked them both but my dream car at the time was a 65-66 Shelby GT 350. I put a ton of money into the 66 fastback making it into a Shelby clone. It was so nice when I was done, I was afraid to drive it anywhere! I ended up selling it on consignment through a classic car dealer and made about $9000 profit. A guy from Australia bought it.

anlauto

Quote from: Matt13 on May 09, 2020, 10:47:14 PM

Maybe around $40K :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Matt13

Quote from: anlauto on May 10, 2020, 02:33:32 PM
Quote from: Matt13 on May 09, 2020, 10:47:14 PM

Maybe around $40K :dunno:
Ok. I don't feel too bad with that estimate.

70 Challenger Lover

Do yourself a favor and don't dwell on it. We all have those woulda/shoulda/coulda stories and thinking on them just makes you feel remorse or regret. Can't change it anyway.

What you can do though is go find a nice finished one and finance it. Yeah it sucks having the payment but there's lots of great memories waiting to be made. None of us are getting any younger. I don't want to turn 80 someday looking back wishing I bought/built some of my dream cars.

Matt13

Well, I have my '73 I'm working on now. It's not anything near the '71, but at least it's kept me busy during this lockdown!

70 Challenger Lover

All the e body cars are awesome in my view. I like the later years, except for the safety bumpers of course. No one likes those.

Matt13

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on May 10, 2020, 06:36:21 PM
All the e body cars are awesome in my view. I like the later years, except for the safety bumpers of course. No one likes those.
Luckily the last owner used a 1970 front bumper on this '73. Now I just have to replace that rear one or take off the safety bumpers.