Main Menu

1972 BS23 'cuda

Started by onebadfish, April 06, 2017, 12:15:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

onebadfish

I am considering selling my 'cuda. First a bit about me and my first car. I bought my 1972 BS23 'cuda in 1981. She was originally triple black, as of fall 1982 Hemi Orange. For a bunch of reasons I am considering selling her. I have my heart set on a new Challenger, Scat pack or hellcat not sure which yet. My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in August of 2013. I am 52 and at a point in my life where I want 400+ HP and ABS brakes, p/w p/l, tilt cruise, A/C. You get the idea. My wife can no longer go enjoy the 'cuda with me and I am not going to have 2 rear wheel drive vehicles that get parked 7 months a year in Michigan. SO all that said, my 'cuda was restored by me, a teen, on a limited budget in 1982. Nothing has been done to her since with the exception of a new vinyl roof, by Legendary last summer. The guy I paid to do the roof, ... did a less than perfect job and that was the last straw for me. Anyways, I am trying to determine value and hope you can help. She is numbers matching 340/727 car with 8 3/4 diff. She needs some love, kinda looks awesome at 20 feet at car shows but her age is showing and I don't have the financial means or interest/time to do it, but know she deserves to be saved. I would rather take the proceeds from selling her and save towards a new challenger. It is time for someone else to enjoy her with the passion I once had for her. To be properly restored she will need  floor pan (drivers side was patched by me in HS) Need a trunk pan, still has the hole in her she had back in the day. Drivers side quarter had a patch panel and is popping again finally. The following was replaced with NOS parts in 1982, both front fenders, grille with all trim, exhaust tips, lower balance plastic, plus bezels and lenses. Chrome wheel opening trim, rocker panel trim. 340 is strong solid lift cam motor with a 273 rockers and shafts. Torsion bar mounts are solid frame looks great overall and she has always been garage kept. Has the black three speaker dash still in tact. Has not been in the snow since 1982 and has not been in the rain since 1983. I have not posted in any of the FB groups a "how much is she worth?" because I dont want to hear the typical "crusher food" or "wrong year junk it" type posts. I obviously have an emotional attachment to her having owned her for 35 years, but it is just time and I really would like to put that money into a new Challenger that I can enjoy. Can't take em  with you as they say. 69,xxx miles, maybe 500 since the rebuild in 1982. Thanks for reading this novel and thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. Location is Nashville MI. Purchased from 2nd owner in 1981 in Detroit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scf100

Just bought a 72 and love it, yours looks nice after all the years!

I am sure others will chime in with value

Good luck with the sale
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

1 Wild R/T

I'm not the guy for valuation but thats a nice Cuda & it's obvious you've taken good care of it... Hope it works out well & your able to get a new Challenger...  Hope your wife is able to enjoy her time with you....

Cuda Cody

I completely understand why you would have to sell in your situation.  Very nice looking Cuda.  Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best.  For both you and your wife.

ec_co

no one biting on the valuation challenge??

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll take a stab at it based on description (more pics would help a lot). '72-'74s are starting to come up in price, but still cannot match a '70-'71. this one seems to be an OK driver at this point, but needs a full resto which isn't cheap, so whoever buys it will be upside down at the end of it all (which we all know from the start anyways, we do it for the love of e-bodies!!). just my thought, but I'd say @ $15-$17k since its driveable as is.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

303 Mopar

I get why your selling, as mentioned before, but it will hurt once its gone.  The new stuff is amazing but not as cool as the Cuda.  Still, understand it is good to enjoy something together while you still can.

That being said, I will start the valuation conversation. I am amazed at watching the value of 72-74 Cuda's continue to climb.  Just a couple years ago you could by a really nice numbers match for high $20's, now they are +$10k.  IMO, a drivers numbers matching 3rd owner Cuda that is Hemi Orange is very attractive and  I think you could  sell yours as is for $27-29k but it would take some time. Low $20's it would sell real quick. 

Blake@diyhemi.com

I understand that you have your reasons and I respect that. I'm going to value at $24-26k unseen as a driver with great history.

72-74's have really started to climb in value. They days of a numbers matching, decent driving car in the teens has gone. Over $20k for sure.

God bless you and your wife, may things work out in your favor.

1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

onebadfish

Quote from: ec_co on April 06, 2017, 03:10:53 PM
no one biting on the valuation challenge??

I'm certainly no expert, but I'll take a stab at it based on description (more pics would help a lot). '72-'74s are starting to come up in price, but still cannot match a '70-'71. this one seems to be an OK driver at this point, but needs a full resto which isn't cheap, so whoever buys it will be upside down at the end of it all (which we all know from the start anyways, we do it for the love of e-bodies!!). just my thought, but I'd say @ $15-$17k since its driveable as is.

Thanks for your input, I agree and don't think they will ever reach the value of a 70 or 71, I was searching for a 71 when I found this one at $1200 as a Jr in High School it was in the budget. :twothumbsup:

I agree a full restoration will not be cheap and will end up with more invested than worth, but I think that is often the case.

Thanks again for the input, just trying to get an idea of what would be a fair price.

Tim

onebadfish

Quote from: 303 Mopar on April 06, 2017, 03:17:02 PM
I get why your selling, as mentioned before, but it will hurt once its gone.  The new stuff is amazing but not as cool as the Cuda.  Still, understand it is good to enjoy something together while you still can.

That being said, I will start the valuation conversation. I am amazed at watching the value of 72-74 Cuda's continue to climb.  Just a couple years ago you could by a really nice numbers match for high $20's, now they are +$10k.  IMO, a drivers numbers matching 3rd owner Cuda that is Hemi Orange is very attractive and  I think you could  sell yours as is for $27-29k but it would take some time. Low $20's it would sell real quick.

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts on this. I agree, it will hurt. As my buddy who helped me build the engine in 82 told me, when she rolls out the driveway you will never see her again. So it will be painful. I just think she is in need of some attention now, and I know it won't be me doing it this time. Mopar is in my DNA. As soon as I saw the new Challenger I knew they made that for me for when the time came to sell the 'cuda. I think it's time.

Thanks again,

Tim

onebadfish

Quote from: Blake@diyhemi.com on April 06, 2017, 05:37:08 PM
I understand that you have your reasons and I respect that. I'm going to value at $24-26k unseen as a driver with great history.

72-74's have really started to climb in value. They days of a numbers matching, decent driving car in the teens has gone. Over $20k for sure.

God bless you and your wife, may things work out in your favor.

Thank you Blake for the nice words and your thoughts on value. The numbers I am seeing here kind of confirm what I was thinking. I am considering sending her to a consignment place near me, They will do a good job marketing her and have a nation wide audience. My wife Nicole is a warrior and continues to fight on, I am thankful.

Tim

onebadfish

Thanks all for the good advice and kind reception here, huge difference between this forum and what I have read in the Facebook groups. This is a tough decision for me. One I don't take lightly as I know I will miss her when she is gone. However part of my reason for selling her is her preservation. She has been garaged since 82 and never parked on grass overnight etc.

I will continue to read and follow along other posts, great forum full of knowledgeable folks.

Tim

onebadfish

Some more pics

ec_co

that changes my mind a lot. mid to high $20s
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

6bblgt

originally triple black will help $20K+!  fender tag and or broadcast sheet?

onebadfish

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 06, 2017, 09:07:39 PM
originally triple black will help $20K+!  fender tag and or broadcast sheet?
Neither unfortunately. I have searched everywhere I can think of for the fender tag. Honestly don't ever remember seeing it when I did the engine bay, but that was a bunch of years ago. I am 100% sure it was not repainted before I bought it. I wish it had the fender tag just to decode it. [emoji4]