Main Menu

1973 Cuda on craigslist - what is it worth? (updated with pictures)

Started by NWOBHM, March 30, 2018, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

70-74 Cuda are not cheap these days. This is a driving and moving car that needs restoration. If seller is asking $20k he is likely will not take $10k. He might sell around 17 to 18. I would check the frame rails front and back if solid and what other parts are missing. Are you going to do the body work yourself? To me that seems to be the most challenging, difficult, time consuming and expensive part.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

anlauto

I agree, more likely in the $18K range, however, you might want to spend more money getting a better car to start with. Body and paint get expensive fast....
If you're not really into working on cars yourself.....up your budget to $25K-$30K and get a better car. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

NWOBHM

I will not be doing any bodywork myself, I can only work on mechanicals... looks like I would need a better base car to start with...

Brads70

Quote from: NWOBHM on March 31, 2018, 09:11:40 AM
I will not be doing any bodywork myself, I can only work on mechanicals... looks like I would need a better base car to start with...

Agreed!  :bradsthumb:

nsmall

For 25k you can find a nice 72-74 driver that looks sharp and DOESN'T immediately need a new paint job.  Thats a fact.

LinceCuda

Damn it man I just left Long Island I was there picking up a van for me to use in my business. If you're serious and if you can get the price close to where you'd like to be with a phone call , some folks won't talk money if you're not standing there though, I'll talk to Micheal and see if he'll take a peek at it. Micheal is a car guy and has been messing with cars for the last 30 years anything from the grocery fetcher to hot rods. He just might look at it for price I doubt for free unless it's right around the corner. He lives in the Riverhead area of Long Island not sure where the Cuda is located on the Island. Oh and by the way  :welcome: from Tennessee you've found a great place to join.

NWOBHM

Quote from: nsmall on March 31, 2018, 02:16:52 PM
For 25k you can find a nice 72-74 driver that looks sharp and DOESN'T immediately need a new paint job.  Thats a fact.

Agreed, that is what I seem to be finding on the market...

@LinceCuda I appreciate your help! But I think I will have to pass on this one, this may be a bit too much to bite off, however, if the seller is able to come down to my price then I may take you up on having someone look at it, I will keep you posted! Thank you all for the warm welcomes! This place has been great!

blown motor

I can't add anything to help with your decision but welcome to the site and good luck with your search.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

NWOBHM

Quote from: blown motor on March 31, 2018, 03:56:23 PM
I can't add anything to help with your decision but welcome to the site and good luck with your search.

Thank you!!

NWOBHM

He won't take anything less than 19.5 for it, I said the best case scenario for me would be in the 15k range given the amount of risk associated with the bodywork, and also the fact that there are cars in the same price range that don't need an immediate makeover....the ad has now been changed with the first line reading "DO NOT SAY ILL GIVE YOU 15k DONT WASTE MY TIME."
:dunno:

RUNCHARGER

That's a walk-away for sure. You might have $45k in that tank and still be unfinished. The days of $5k complete body jobs are history and it needs more than that too.
Sheldon

Cuda70-74

I bought my 74 cuda for 5k and which was just a shell. I'm doing a 71 cuda  conversion to it. I already spent 2k plus just in suspension and body parts. I still need the drive train which is expensive. Get something in good condition
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Brads70

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 01, 2018, 11:53:32 AM
That's a walk-away for sure. You might have $45k in that tank and still be unfinished. The days of $5k complete body jobs are history and it needs more than that too.

:iagree:  Walk away....be patient , there will be other ones to look at , BETTER ones!

nsmall

Yes the dude probably has more than 15k into it, not your problem, and you didnt waste his time, 15k is a fair offer. Like Brad said, there will be better...for sure :bradsthumb:

quapman

If that's what $20k gets you in a cuda these days.... wow. Just wow.