Main Menu

1973 Cuda on craigslist - what is it worth? (updated with pictures)

Started by NWOBHM, March 30, 2018, 02:19:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

Unfortunately I think that is all you'll get for $20K these days. First off it sounds as if the owner has put a lot of money and time into the mechanical ends of things....building a new stroker motor, new transmission, rear end, etc...etc.... That stuff is not cheap. It sounds as if it 100% mechanically ready to go, currently on the road.

I can see why he was offended at a $15K offer.

Now you might get a prettier one with new paint (hiding all the bondo) for $20K but will likely still have a tired old drive train in it....

So I guess you decide which apple you want to eat.....

My suggestion is to look in the $30K -$35K range to get one that finished in all areas...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I disagree this car is worth $20k, just because he has that much into it does not mean that is worth that much. There is a light green 73 Challenger in another thread that has a $28k asking and it is a clean looking car with a stroker in it. This car needs considerably more than $8k spent on it to get into the same condition. Maybe if this car was a 70 it might be worth $20k but I don't think so. If the body issues really are minor the current owner should spend the money and fix them, then sell it. With him selling it as is makes me think you are looking at substantial metal replacement. Other opinions may vary of course.
Sheldon

NWOBHM

I understand that he may have a good amount invested into the mechanical aspects of the car, however, given the condition of the body and the hidden problems that can arise once fully stripped, it's fair to incorporate that risk into my offer price. This is especially true because I cannot fully assess what is lurking under the paint, nor can I perform any bodywork myself. Judging from the pictures of the deterioration, significant repair looks to be in order.. the cost of reproduction panels, cutting, welding, patching, filler, paint, etc... adds up, and if it was a small amount of bodywork needed, he can easily get it fixed and ask more for it.   :alan2cents:

Cuda70-74

Even if u buy a more expensive cuda it can still be hiding alot of bondo. It has happen to people. Just be careful
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

Fastmark

I have bought and sold lots of project cars. I've restored some as well.  I've seen rusty cars from salt and would never own or restore a car from the rust belt. I have a big advantage being from West Texas and the cars are preserved very well down here. When ever someone buys or even sees one of my cars on the lift, they just stare in amazement and are at a loss for words on how clean they are.  So, if a car has that kind of rust on the outside, it will be rusty on the inside. You have to find a good place to stop cutting off rusty metal to weld on a new panel. My advise is to look down south for a car if you don't want any surprises. Get pictures of the underside of the car. Better to spend a little more for a clean car and take the time to travel. Understand that almost all ebodies will need a trunk and and most will need quarters or at least partial replacement.  Personall, I like to buy a project car and have the car done. It will cost more in the long run but you know what you have. PM me and I'll show you some pictures. When I sell a car, I send lots of pictures.

anlauto

I think maybe my point was lost there.....I don't think the car is worth the $20K asking price as much as I think that's about all you'll get for $20K these days.

Like I said.....You can get one mechanically sound, or painted pretty.....I think you'll have a hard time finding both in that price range.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

What did the member want for the 70 a week or so ago? It was a real Cuda, pretty solid and original. I thought it was in the $20's? I am just comparing it to this car, it was head and shoulders better value for the $$$.
Sheldon

HP_Cuda

If you would buy cars from the south, I would avoid buying from Florida because of my adventure in swamp parked sea air rust buckets.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

gzig5

You guys have more experience than I, but I don't think that is a bad car at that price especially for someone that wants a driver or can do the work themselves.  Obviously if the frame is rotted it's another story but I've never seen one of these that didn't need a quarter or trunk floor.  It has a lot of nice options.  A four speed conversion for my automatic car is about $6k so there are some serious points for that in my view. I don't know where you are finding these $10k rust free cream puffs, but I  couldn't find anything with a four speed that I could afford, or came with a floor or interior.