Main Menu

1974 Challenger Rallye 360

Started by xx88man, November 09, 2023, 07:36:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

xx88man

Hi guys. I'm looking for opinions on the value of this Challenger. 360 auto. Rallye package. KB5 blue. The body seems solid although the trunk drop offs look to have been patched. There appears to be one small rust hole in the trunk floor, someone painted the trunk area black.... Not sure if it's paint or some sort of rust inhibitor. In the engine bay the rad support and the front side of the firewall have been painted black (would this be original for a '74?). Interior has been changed from blue to black at some point. The owner says the car last ran in August but wouldn't start yesterday so let's assume it's running. Shock towers are black so I'm thinking they might have been replaced but not painted... inner fenders are blue. The dash pad is cracked and the car has the wrong stripes on it. It is a good looking car that needs some love. I appreciate opinions on value of this car because I have never owned a 72-74 before. Thanks
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

I forgot to mention the fender tag is there. Engine bay needs a really good cleaning. And I'm in Canada
Keep yer foot in it

MoparLeo

The 73-74 would be the least valuable of the E-bodies. Many reasons for this.
The cars were completely painted at one time and it was all the ame colr. No black unless it was undercoating applied after paint or if ther car was a black car. That can be a red flag.
Rust is the number one problem with Mopars, especially the E-body cars. Trunk floors, rear window channel, behind front and rear fenders down low and more.
When a car is almost 50 years old there can be many hidden problems.
Rust, prior accident repairs, poor engine, transmission maintenance, worn suspension components, worn brake system. etc...
Electrical is a big one. Dirty grounds and contacts, wiring splices or modifications.
You should have a Mopar person, preferably an E-body owner inspect the car during the day on a lift. Never look/buy a car at night or when it is wet outside. Many things are hard to spot in those conditions.[
Without an inspection it could be a 15K car because of needed repairs or a 25-30k car if in excellent condition.
Black paint is used to hide many prolems so be careful and have a good inspection done.
There are people who do this professionaly.
You can spend some money on an inspection ,or a lot of money on unexpected things.
Good luck./font]
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Chryco Psycho

The 74 Ralley were the lowest year for production so they are quite rare , they did have the 1 piece seatbelt that rarely works well .

anlauto

In Canada that car is $35K - $40K CDN Funds all day.....YES, it's unfortunate but sadly true. :canada: nothing is cheap anymore
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

xx88man

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input
Keep yer foot in it

xx88man

@anlauto the bumper fillers on this car are bad shape/missing. Is there a source to buy them? I know older style bumpers and brackets is the solution but don't want to spend the money right now
Keep yer foot in it

anlauto

You would have to source good used parts, nobody makes them new. Lucky thing is most [people are taking them off, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration