Main Menu

340 T/A Crank shaft forged standard/standard

Started by Bossgold, December 28, 2019, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

whats a 340 T/A Forged crankshaft 2532457 Forging number 4 spd pilot hole worth these days?  Its standard/standard with clean journals/mains, no rust, clean threads. No Mallory or damage to counter weights

Cuda Cody

Bossgold

@Cuda Cody - I know...saw it on craigslist and drove to check it out. Guy didn't need it anymore so I measured it and it came out standard/standard and rang like a bell. He had it checked so I got that paper work. Very clean....I have one other 2532457 Forged cranks but it had Mallory in it and its pretty beat up. I was just wondering since you don't see many at standard/standard and the ones for sale are beat to ......

Fastmark

It depends upon what size the journals actually are and if they are round. I have been building engines for a long time and measure everything. The mains can be slightly under or even OVER std in some cases. The journals could be .001 or .002 under and some would still call them std. if you can't get the correct clearance then you need to pay $200 to get it turned. I have found the the King brand of main bearings are slightly tighter for a B.B. mopar. That helps on a shaft that is smaller. If the rod journals are round then you can buy .001 rod bearings. If it's really clean, no cracks, no pits on the rear seal area, round journals, straight, and will clearances will check out at .0025-.0035 on the mains and .002-.0025 on the rods, it's worth $300 to $400 in my books since it's a 340 4 speed. You have to make sure it's not a 273 or 318 shaft or it will need to be balanced. That adds more to the rebuild. If it has holes through the two end rod journals of the crank, it's a 340 crank. Looking at your picture is hard to tell if it has the holes. If not, then it's a 273-318 shaft.

6bblgt

Hollander shows the 2532457 forged crankshaft to be 273/318 & lists 2843868 as the 340 forged crankshaft

the parts ID section of how to rebuild your Small-Block Mopar lists both 2532457 & 2843868 forged crankshafts as 340 ONLY

:dunno:

:thinking:  the parts ID section of how to rebuild your Small-Block Mopar does NOT show a forged 273/318 crankshaft for 1968 & newer  :huh:

6Pack70

Holes in both end rod journals like this?  I removed this from my T/A 340. 

1 Wild R/T

All forged 340 cranks are the same, T/A is not different...  As Fast Mark & 6Pack70 pointed out the end throws are drilled on 340, not on 318....

Bossgold

went back and read my Six-Pack Engine Handbook after the the Balance holes in the first and last journals on a 340 T/A forged crank. Says that for a 340 the hole Dia. is approx. 3/4 inch. Also, found the other book mentioning the Forging number as 2532457

Fastmark

Yes. The above pictured shaft is a 340. An interesting side note here. A 273 steel crank and a 318 steel crank are the same and have the same balance with no holes drilled in the end journals. They make up the difference in the piston weight of the small bore 273 with extra weighted piston pins with the 273.

Bossgold

@Fastmark  thanks for your input on this and the King bearing info. There is one narf on one of the connecting rod journals so I am hoping it can be polished out to keep it Standard. I'll let Joe at Castillo Crankshaft clean it up