Main Menu

8 3/4 housing WIW

Started by blown motor, August 06, 2017, 03:51:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

How much is a bare, unrestored 8 3/4 housing worth?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Jay Bee

September 2011 I paid $200.00CDN for one. It was local, I didn't want to shop around, just wanted the car back on the road ASAP.

Cuda Cody

With axles in good shape and not bent, I can see $200 for it if you need one. 

70/6chall

I have a complete E-body 8 3/4 out in the garage 741 drop out w/ 2.76 gear set , 10" backing plates and brake drums. Been out there for many years, always wondered what it was worth.    Thanks,   Al

Jay Bee

IIRC that 200 Canadian was just for the bare housing. My mechanic re-used my axles, I think. I'll ask him next week and see if he remembers.

Cuda Cody

Pretty sure the 10" backing plates are the ones you want to have.   :yes:  The 11" only came on drums on all 4 corners, but if you got front disc brakes you got 10" rear drums.  Some people think the bigger brakes are more rare, but if you are trying to build a oem car the 10" rear backing plates bring the best money and can be the hardest to find.

Quote from: 70/6chall on August 06, 2017, 05:16:54 PM
10" backing plates and brake drums.

70/6chall

Thanks Cody for the response :)  appreciate buddy, The rear end I have up under the Dodge now is one I replaced the old 7 1/4 with 2.76 gear set. I was able to pick up for $55. another 8 3/4 w/ 742 drop out w/ a 3.23 open gear set. With it I picked up 11x2 1/2" finned brake drums and brakes. Ready to install and drive off. In front I picked up 10x3" brakes from a BB Road Runner. Good thing "B" body suspension pieces can be used. Even with drums on all 4 corners it stops a SL6 car without stress.   Thanks,   Al

Brads70

blown motor

No. There's one on Kijiji. I wondered if I could get it cheap, clean and paint it and flip it. Trouble is, it's down in the Kawarthas. I'd need it for a song to cover my gas.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

Quote from: Brads70 on August 06, 2017, 09:01:39 PM
Do you need one Murray?

I was going to ask the same thing....I think there's one laying under my Sister's deck that he could have for nothing...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on August 06, 2017, 05:32:26 PM
Pretty sure the 10" backing plates are the ones you want to have.   :yes:  The 11" only came on drums on all 4 corners, but if you got front disc brakes you got 10" rear drums.   Some people think the bigger brakes are more rare, but if you are trying to build a oem car the 10" rear backing plates bring the best money and can be the hardest to find.

@Cuda Cody you might want to check the rear brakes on any of your TA's or AAR's .....just sayin :console:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

:yes:  Oh ya, I forgot about the T/A' and AAR's. 

Quote from: anlauto on August 07, 2017, 06:13:51 AM

@Cuda Cody you might want to check the rear brakes on any of your TA's or AAR's .....just sayin :console:

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on August 07, 2017, 06:11:42 AM
Quote from: Brads70 on August 06, 2017, 09:01:39 PM
Do you need one Murray?

I was going to ask the same thing....I think there's one laying under my Sister's deck that he could have for nothing...

Same here mine is sitting in the garden shed.....