Main Menu

Bullitt Mustang heading to auction, WIW?

Started by 6bblgt, August 15, 2019, 09:33:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shane Kelley

JS29

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 15, 2019, 12:45:46 PM
Wonder what ever became of the Charger?
I would think it became car crusher fodder.  :bye:

6bblgt

the Charger R/T that had some circumstantial evidence connecting it to the movie "SOLD" relatively cheap & went to Germany - I saw it pre-restoration & believe it was "the" car

https://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/the-missing-bullitt-charger/

Ricomondo

I saw an extensive article on this car in Haggerty magazine last year. I don't blame this fella, he looked to be a younger guy in his late 30's ,early 40's?
The sale of this car would mean life changing money for him and his family. Hope he gets the world and then some. It'll be interesting to see what it brings. For sure over a mil I'm guessing?
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Cudino

WIW, that's a really interesting question.  Performance cars with any direct connection to Steve McQueen regularly bring 3x-5x more than similar cars without his provenance, so there are certainly cars-of-McQueen buyers out there.  But this particular car is arguably the one McQueen is most tightly connected with, and it is an icon of the Ford, Musclecar, and Hollywood communities.  So although the car itself (a '68 Fastback) isn't really worth all that much, the provenance-multiplier is off the charts.  This one-of-one will be bought by someone more for sentiment rather than inherent value, so it is nearly impossible to estimate what the final price might be.

As for the comparison to the current recordholder for most-expensive Mustang, the $2.2M SuperSnake, the similarities are probably accurate.  The SuperSnake was Shelby's 427-equipped Mustang, and closely connected to icon Carroll Shelby himself.  To recap some of its recent sales history, it sold in ~2013 for something like $1.4M, which was a lot of money.  But, after 5 years of ownership I believe the buyer thought he had overpaid, and brought it to Mecum with a Reserve in the ~$1M range.  Frankly that's about what I estimated it should be worth.  Anyway, sure enough, when the bidding hit ~$1M the Reserve came off, and could (should?) have sold for that amount.  However, turns out there were two bidders who just HAD to own that car.  After the dust settled the car was ultimately bid up to $2M, or $2.2M with fees.  That's 2x higher than what the owner thought his own car was worth!  It is extremely rare that a car overshoots the Reserve by so much, but that's what happened.  So, could the SuperSnake really bring $2.2M again if sold today?  Or perhaps more?  Who knows, but I do consider that benchmark as a pretty special case.  Anyway, I have no idea what the Reserve might be for this Bullitt car, but I do believe it holds a higher pedigree than the SuperSnake, and I can certainly see the repeat scenario where 2 guys just HAVE to become its new owner.  If I really had to guess, I'd say the Reserve would be at $2.5M, but it will actually sell in the $2M-$3M range.  And it wouldn't surprise me if I was off by as much as 2x in either direction :).  Exciting stuff!

- Wade

70 Challenger Lover

The car was featured on a Jay Leno show and the owner claimed he had turned down million plus offers more than once if I remember right.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 6bblgt on August 15, 2019, 02:28:52 PM

the Charger R/T that had some circumstantial evidence connecting it to the movie "SOLD" relatively cheap & went to Germany - I saw it pre-restoration & believe it was "the" car

Could there be more than one car?  :notsure: The article states the car was originally yellow. But as you can see in this screen shot it looks like it was a blue car. The area around the door handle location and the scrape down the quarter are definitely blue under the black.

js27

Quote from: Shane Kelley on August 16, 2019, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on August 15, 2019, 02:28:52 PM

Could there be more than one car?  :notsure: The article states the car was originally yellow. But as you can see in this screen shot it looks like it was a blue car. The area around the door handle location and the scrape down the quarter are definitely blue under the black.

According to the article there were 2 cars. A blue non R/T Auto on column--this must be the car in the picture.
JS27

Shane Kelley

I missed that in the article the first time. Makes since now because screen shot is right before the gas station blow up scene.

floorit426

I saw that Mustang, at Mecum, Monterey, this weekend. To say it is rough, would be very kind.

Bossgold

The Kiernan family is selling cause I think they see where the market is going. In 5 years this car will be another 1968 mustang. Don't forget the second one was found in Mexico. I will bet it doesn't fetch the millions they predict. I am surprised its not at Christie's or at least Monterrey. Or is it because they would not list it? I'll say this...its a 1968 mustang that's pretty beat up. Heck ferris' Ferrari only sold for $ 235K. Barrett Jackson sold the Batman car for 4.6 M but that was 2013 not 2019. So I guess we will see but I am betting its going to barely fetch $ 900 K....or I will eat my words.