Main Menu

Challenger 1970

Started by Husk Challenger, May 26, 2018, 12:59:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Husk Challenger

Hey guys,

Any advice for this Challenger 1970 A66 4spd?

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/cto/d/1970-dodge-challenger/6594213245.html

J = Dodge Challenger
H = High
23 = 2 Door Hardtop
H = 340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
0 = 1970
B = Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

C16: Console w/Woodgrain Panel
C55: Bucket Seats
G33: OS LH Remote Racing Mirror
G35: Delete Standard Outside Mirror
M6X9: Unknown
FY1: Banana
D21: 4 Speed Manual Transmission

N42: Chrome Exhaust Tips
N41: Dual Exhaust
M21: Roof drip rail moldings
V1X: Black Vinyl Top
A62: Rallye Instrument Cluster Package
A66: 70 only Challenger 340 Performance Package

Y05: Build to USA Specs
26: 26in Radiator
EN1: End of Sales Codes
V9X: Bumble Bee Stripes - Black
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
N85: Tachometer
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

nsmall

Proceed with caution.  Bubbles and it's from MN.  Could be a real mess under the paint.

Rich G.

Looks like can easily be putting another 20-30K to restore this. Nice car but I think it's a bit high on the price for what it needs.

Husk Challenger

Yes for sure... The trunk looks pretty scary.

I would like a first approach of the value of a such car before contact the seller.  :huh:

Cuda Cody

It does look like it's got a good deal of rust under there.  Based on what I see it does not appear as if it was taken care of properly when it was repainted / restored.  He's not asking a lot for it, but it would take more then it's worth to get that car restored back to a solid car.  If you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, then maybe a fine car.  But if you want to make it nicer at all you would be better off starting with a car with more upside (six pack project).

Husk Challenger

Thanks Cody!

If i add the transport to East Cost and the shipping oversea it will be again worst at the end.
I Will pass on it.

:thankyou:

RUNCHARGER

The current quarters are shaped wrong so the very least it needs bodywise is quarters, trunk floor, drop-offs, outer wheelhouses then paintwork. You are long distance and you'll find a lot more wrong when you put eyes on it. Passing is a good thing. You won't be able to fix that car for another $20k where you live but $40k total will buy you a really nice one that doesn't need anything.
Sheldon

Husk Challenger

Thanks Sheldon

Your help guys is really appreciated  ;)

340challconvert

I personally like the A66 340 Challengers (prejudiced since I own one)
The 4 sp gives this car a little more appeal.
Body appears to have a lot of plastic- almost looks "bloated" especially on the quarters, a place on the hood and the trunk lid have spots where it looks like a dent was not fixed properly.
Trunk floor; is that a welded patch in the center? Either way, it would the trunk floor replaced
The area between the quarter panel and door; again looks like a lot of plastic and the sill seam is not looking good.
No apparent issues w the vinyl roof as far as you can see by pictures.
It could be the matching numbers block, but the number not on the front of the block is strange
Interior; seats are from the wrong year and need to be redone
After market radiator
Could be a fun driver.
340 A66 hardtops max out on price at about $50K tops for a mint mint example
Most sell in the 40K range in nice condition.
20k is not a terrible price but the car would need at least another 20k or more to get it into better condition.  It would not be worth much more or even less then the cost of properly restoring the car.
Could be a fun driver for a little lower price and just have fun with it.
Just my opinion ( I know it's been already said) 
I just have a soft spot for the A66 cars.
:deadhorse:

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Husk Challenger

I also have a soft spot for the A66! And as you say the 4 spd is a little "plus"
I also like the original color combo.

Even if i personnally like the originality of the A66, here in Europe most of people don't even know what it is...they only know RT! So the value once restaured would be different than in US.
If i had known someone in the aera maybe i would have asked for a visit in order to have a better idea of the rust and of the final price...

I am looking for a substitute for my 73, so i prefer to wait a better project. No hurry.

Thanks @340challconvert !
You are a lucky a66 owner  ;)

Katfish

I was expecting to see a piece of crap after reading the replies and just finally followed link.
I guess I'm a bad judge, but didn't see all that much bad, at that asking price.

I know a bad paint job over bad repairs is not good.
But if see other cars that were completely missing 50% of the parts needed to make them whole and the consensus was it was worthy for not much lower price?

At least this car could be driven while working on it. 
What am I missing?

RUNCHARGER

I always expect internet cars to have unseen problems. This one has problems you can see. The quarter Wheel Openings are totally mishaped, that means someone has done a shoddy repair that will have to be cut off to be fixed, this thought is supported by the rust bubbles forming. So, you are looking at both quarters, both outer wheelhouses, the trunk drop-offs and trunk floor at a bare minimum and most likely frame rails I reckon. Just to fix the back end is going to cost $3kUS in AMD plus the labour or effort to install them and a complete repaint. The buyer is in Europe so his costs will be much higher than stateside. So the economics are not there for him from what I can see. That is only what we see right away at the back of the car.
Sheldon