Main Menu

Dual point distributor3438578 and vacumn advance 3438539

Started by gygeneral, May 26, 2020, 12:59:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gygeneral

Thinking of selling, don't think I will ever need a spare one of these for my car. What to you guys think??? I believe its for a 71 six pack motor.

kawahonda

Distributors from this era are not really worth anything.

What I see in the photo that is worth money however is the Chrysler part # tag. People are paying good money for those....$40ish maybe on Ebay?

The distributor itself is $20 at best....

Keep in mind that re-manufactured distributors are $80 at the part store. They come rebuilt, and will have part numbers if stamped--but likely wont come with a designater tag if applicable. Older chrysler ones did not have the tag, but stamped.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

gygeneral

I am asking because its been 5 yrs that I finished my car, at that time I was more in tune with what they were selling for, thanks for the links to Ebay auctions.

anlauto

Quote from: kawahonda on May 26, 2020, 03:00:51 PM
Distributors from this era are not really worth anything.

What I see in the photo that is worth money however is the Chrysler part # tag. People are paying good money for those....$40ish maybe on Ebay?

The distributor itself is $20 at best....

Keep in mind that re-manufactured distributors are $80 at the part store. They come rebuilt, and will have part numbers if stamped--but likely wont come with a designater tag if applicable. Older chrysler ones did not have the tag, but stamped.

Are you kidding ? a 1971 440+6 Prestolite dual point distributor for $20  :huh:  I'll take everyone you have for that price. 

I would think you're more in the neighbourhood of $350-$400 likely....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2

anlauto

TONY has a similar one listed for $695 plus $200 for restoration. :twothumbsup:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

gygeneral

Thanks for the input, I was thinking the same, at least 5 yrs ago they were that much. Would that be with the vacumn advance?

Floyd

Agree that it's in the multiple hundreds category.

anlauto

Yes, complete.....I'll give you $20 dollars for it :) :bigmoney:

gygeneral

ok just answered my question. Looked at Tony's website the 200 is for restoration and the vac advance, so 895 in total .

anlauto

kawahonda

Quote from: anlauto on May 26, 2020, 06:05:18 PM
Will you take $20 :takemymoney:   :rofl:

:ebay: :thinking:

I already rebutted myself. I didn't say it was worth $20. I said that referring to the distributor as a core itself--that was my guess as a used core that's missing some things--it was an initial guess at about $100 total. How much is it worth without the tag? You can get one without the tag for $80 that's been refurbished at your local parts store. I posted a link at $150, so I wasn't terribly off. This isn't a restored distributor.

By the way, what's rare about this dual point distributor, aside from the date-code tag? Just curious.

anlauto

Hey ....I just have never seen a Prestolite dual point distributor, core even for $20....and laugh to myself when I read that, that's all. I didn't mean to offend you or your opinion.... :grouphug:

You're right....the money is in the tag and the special vacuum advance....other then the counter weights inside the distributor, they're all relatively the same set-up I believe :thinking:
Value is MUCH different then the single point or electronic set-ups...

kawahonda

I believe it now after looking at those links!

Yep, I just looked at NAPAonline and didn't see any dual point re-manufactured ones. So clearly, yep I was way off in thinking they were easily available!

Weren't ALL mopars in 1971 electronic?