Main Menu

My 73 Challenger

Started by dave73, April 07, 2017, 12:52:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

So I'm looking at getting Hagerty insurance and they asked me a ballpark what I'd like to insure my car for. So naturally it got me thinking, what is this thing actually worth. Some details:

1973 Challenger - originally black on black with 318, 3 speed, 8-3/4 rear, minimal options and not desirable but I have the build sheet and fender tag. Previous owner painted it sublime, I've since brought it back to black.

Now it has:
-76' 440(stroked to 512)
-Eagle crank, diamond pistons, eagle rods
-lunati hydraulic roller cam
-440 source stealth heads
-comp cam rockers
-850 double pumper
-mancini water pump kit
-champion 26" radiator
-Hedman ceramic coated headers
-TTI x pipe exhaust w/ dynomax superturbos

-4 speed 23 spline (brand new passon rebuild)
-hotchkis tvs kit (minus steering rods - QA1)
-QA1 front shocks
-Stage 3 steering box (steer and gear)
-all wiring harnesses in engine bay brand new
-wilwood front disc brakes
-speedhut gauges
-15" cop car rims
-dales louvers
-dales t/a spoiler

-all rust fixed (new rear window filler, lower quarters)
-minor body mods (welded and painted bumpers, shaved side markers)

What it needs:
-professional paint job
-dash pad, carpet, seats recovered

Brads70

I always think to replace it would be......? I'd say 40-45K ?

Cuda Cody

It always better to get a stated or agreed value of you can.  That way you know exactly how much you would get to use to replace it if something happened.  I'm not as strong on the value as Brad is, but I would insure it for at least that.

dave73

Real crappy to have to post this but recently the wallet and time has been limited. Tossing around the idea of  selling the challenger to either pocket the cash for now or buy something completely done so I can focus on all my house projects.

If I decide to list it, where would you place starting price? Realistically, it needs a paint job, seats recovered, dash is cracked. Engine, trans and suspension are all brand new with high quality parts. I have the original 318, 3 speed, fender tag and build sheet. I would probably entertain trades for either something done but like to figure out a value on mine first.

Cuda Cody

Sorry to hear you might have to sell, but it happens.  Can you post some photos of the condition?  Normally you'll get the most eyes on it and most money if you run it on eBay.... but it comes with a lot of tire kickers and questions so be ready to have lots of photos and information available for the buyers. 

Quote from: dave73chally on April 28, 2017, 09:27:19 AM
Real crappy to have to post this but recently the wallet has been tight. Tossing around the idea of  selling the challenger. If I go that route, where would you place starting price? Realistically, it needs a paint job, seats recovered, dash is cracked. Engine, trans and suspension are all brand new with high quality parts.

dave73

I'm killing this thread...after driving her this weekend, I ain't selling!

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: dave73chally on May 08, 2017, 06:58:51 AM

:clapping: :clapping: I can't tell you how many times I think of my chally and wish I didn't have to sell her!  Great decision!
Rev-It-Up

Cuda Cody

:veryexcited:  Good for you!   :clapping:  I almost always regret selling them.

303 Mopar

Once you get back in a drive them on a nice day, you really appreciate all the time and effort and fun you have had.   :banana:

dave73

So resurfacing this topic but not for the same reason. I have a chance to get a car I've always wanted so tempted to post my challenger for sale. Below are some pics, with the above details, what do you think it's worth? I don't have to sell it nor do I absolutely want to, so it'd have to be a darn good price to let it go. But if I was able to sell it, I'd be able to get into a car I've been after for awhile...

Interior pic is before it was painted black.

303 Mopar

Long sale - $38k
Medium sale - $34k
Quick sale - $29k

Moparman82

I would go just a little less than Dan's thinking, just because it's a 73, but I like it....a lot.  Just have seen some pretty reasonable challengers lately, so my  :alan2cents:

Long sale 30k
Medium 27k
Quick 24k
Looking for the right 70 Cuda project!

303 Mopar

Quote from: Moparman82 on October 03, 2017, 01:09:43 PM
I would go just a little less than Dan's thinking, just because it's a 73, but I like it....a lot.  Just have seen some pretty reasonable challengers lately, so my  :alan2cents:

Long sale 30k
Medium 27k
Quick 24k

You're probably right, I've been watching '72-74 Cuda's break well into the mid-upper $30's but maybe not Challengers yet.

anlauto

Modified cars are hard to sell... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dave73

You guys really think it's worth mid to high 20s even with needing a dash pad, carpet, front seat covers and a pro paint job?