Previous topic Next topic

spchallenger340

Was wanting to know what locking gas caps are going for

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Floyd

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I was going to say $600-650 for an NOS in box example with a pair of keys.
There are 2 versions, vented and non vented.
I remember years ago some guy in Mexico was listing NOS non vented caps on eBay, he'd list one about every week for quite a while.  They were ending up bidding at $500+.  I kept throwing in bids at his opening price and eventually got one for $400.  I've always wondered what the inside story was of how a guy in Mexico had a couple dozen NOS caps.

GrandpaKevin

I have one that came originally on my wife's 71 Challenger.

It works but like most of them it doesn't lock.

Does anyone restore these?

Floyd

There is a lot of info about these caps in this post, including details on the part that is usually at fault when the cap won't lock.  Another problem with these is the rubber seal deteriorates/dries out/cracks.  Years ago I found a NAPA cap that has a rubber seal that will fit the Mopar cap.  I can dig that info up if anyone is interested.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/359533/all/70-chall-flip-top-locking-gas-cap-color-wont-lock.html

JH27N0B

Interestingly, it seems like all the NOS ones anyone ever got, including mine, won't lock.
I should look at the Moparts thread and make fixing my NOS one a shelter at home project.  :idea:
My T/A had it's original locking cap when I bought it 40+ years ago.  It was unlocked and I wasn't given a key for it.
In the late 90s I was able to buy its Mr Norms sales paperwork folder for the car,  which included an NOS set of keys, including one for the gas cap.  I tried the key on my cap, and it worked!  :cooldance:

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on April 11, 2020, 06:10:43 AM
Interestingly, it seems like all the NOS ones anyone ever got, including mine, won't lock.
I should look at the Moparts thread and make fixing my NOS one a shelter at home project.  :idea:
My T/A had it's original locking cap when I bought it 40+ years ago.  It was unlocked and I wasn't given a key for it.
In the late 90s I was able to buy its Mr Norms sales paperwork folder for the car,  which included an NOS set of keys, including one for the gas cap.  I tried the key on my cap, and it worked!  :cooldance:

That  right there is a pretty incredible story  :worship: :clapping:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

EV2RTSE

If the cap doesn't lock, chances are that the tab washer inside is either broken or installed in the wrong position.
This thread has a summary of the pics and also Floyd's replacement gasket  :bigthumb:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/locking-gas-cap-sold/3070/msg44919#msg44919

GrandpaKevin

Took my cap apart and the tab on the washer is missing. :( 

I didn't find the missing piece anywhere inside the mechanism.

Any fab guys interested in making one?

headejm

Quote from: EV2RTSE on April 11, 2020, 06:55:44 AM
If the cap doesn't lock, chances are that the tab washer inside is either broken or installed in the wrong position.
This thread has a summary of the pics and also Floyd's replacement gasket  :bigthumb:
https://forum.e-bodies.org/parts-misc-for-sale/9/locking-gas-cap-sold/3070/msg44919#msg44919

That's an awesome thread! Wish my car came with a locking gas cap.  :(

JH27N0B

The non vented '70 locking gas cap part number is 3404683.  The one in the CL ad is pressure vacuum part number 3404668. Barry stated in a thread on another forum that the filler neck is different in 71s than 70.  Does that mean this one listed for sale is the '70 only CA emissions cap?  If so, that is rare if it's only for CA sold Challengers with the locking gas cap option.